VMware Horizon Community
hotdog_dealer45
Contributor
Contributor

Can't login with Local accounts using View Direct Connection plugin into RDS Pool

I have installed the Horizon View Agent (6.0.0) and View Direct Connection Plugin (6.0.0) on a physical server running Windows Server 2012 R2 with Remote Desktop Services enabled. I point my Windows View Client (2.3.0) directly to the Windows Server and I can connect to a remote desktop session using Domain Accounts, but I can not connect to a remote desktop session using local accounts. I get the error message "You are not entitled to use this system”.   I have added the local accounts to the View Agent Direct Connection User group, but that didn’t help. At the LOG IN prompt in the Windows View client there is a drop down menu for the Domain, I see my domain and the hostname of the Windows Server 2012 R2.  I have looked though the "View Agent Direct-Connection Plug-In Administration VMware Horizon 6.0"  PDF manual and it says to start the Server Manager and navigate to Remote Desktop Services to configure entitlements.   I don't see any options there to manage the entitlements.   Does anyone have any ideas how to manage the entitlements in Server 2012 R2?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Server 2012 R2 is a bit different to how this is done in Server 2008 R2 RDS. 2012 R2 is managed through Collections. Did you set up Collections and entitle users that way?

I don't think I've ever tried to do this with local (non domain) accounts so I don't know if this is supported with RDS hosts.

Mark

hotdog_dealer45
Contributor
Contributor

No,  I didn't set up collections.   I only installed the "Remote Desktop Session Host" component  in "Remote Desktop Services".   The "Setting Up Desktop and Application Pools in View VMware Horizon 6.0" PDF manual instructs you to only install this one piece of "Remote Desktop Services".   Do you think I need to install the rest of RDS ?

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I know that in Server 2012 R2, entitlements are done through Collections. This wasn't the case for Server 2008 R2.

Mark

hotdog_dealer45
Contributor
Contributor

@Mark

I tried to add local user accounts to the default collection that is created when you install RDS on Windows Server 2012 R2 and I could only add Domain Accounts to it.   So, it looks like I can't login with local accounts from the RDS server.   VMware Technical Support recommended that I try using Windows Server 2008 R2.   It looks like Microsoft has tightly integrated RDS into the domain with Server 2012.

0 Kudos