VMware Horizon Community
crote
Contributor
Contributor

Can't deploy customized Virtual Machines

I post this in this forum because the problem appeared when trying to create desktop pools, but then it happened when simply deploying customized VMs from Templates. You may move it to another forum if necessary.

My situation is this: one machine with ESX Server 3.5, one machine with VirtualCenter Server (W 2003) and another one with VDM Connection Server (W 2003). Both VirtualCenter and VDM belong to the same domain. From the VMware Infrastructure Client I create a new VM, install Windows XP Professional SP 2, update it. Then install VMware Tools and VDM Agent and nothing more. I turn the VM into a template.

I copied the Windows XP sysprep files in the correct folder and then I created some different customization specifications, some join a domain, some don't; some enter the Windows Key, some don't; some uso autoadminlogon, some don't; etc. To create these specifications I've used the VIC wizard (appears when cloning a VM), the sysprep tool and the Edit->Customization Specifications option in VIC.

Now the problem. None of these worked. I deplyed VMs from the template created before using ALL the specfications I created (seven) and they all end with a "Failed to deploy template: fault.CustomizationPending.summary" error, which is not very explicative.

Am I skipping any necessary step?

Thank you and sorry for my poor english.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
CCSScot
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone have a solution to this issue, or troubleshooting tips...

Thanks.

0 Kudos
CCSScot
Contributor
Contributor

Try powering on the the templates, logging in and then shutting them back down. This fixed it for me...

Thank.

0 Kudos
hdhjclark
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Good fix, this solved my issue as well.

0 Kudos
ender40
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, also for me worked.

I was tring to deploy Virtual Desktops using View 5.2. The same error message (fault.CustomizationPending.summary) like to you.

After power up the base machine everything goes fine.

Thanks for your solution.

BR

0 Kudos