VMware Horizon Community
dwchan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't connect to my virtual desktop

I have define a list of non-persis pool of desktop. All seem to works ok (I see that VC grab the template and start to provision it). However, after few minutes, i can clearly see that the virtual desktop are done, but the status from my vdm admin still say customization? In addition, when I try to connect to its from the web, i get the following error

The desktop has failed to open. This desktop is currently not available

I double check to make sure the vdm service is running within the XP desktop, and all seem good. what am I miss?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

did you install the VDM agent on the VM's in question? Without that VDM will not see the VM as ready and you won't be able to connect to it with the VDM Client.

0 Kudos
dwchan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

the vmware agent is install on the Virtual desktop. In addition, i make sure the service is running

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have any firewalls enabled that my block communication between the desktop and the connection broker?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
dwchan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There is no firewall blocking us between our VDI client and VDM server. What port does it go over? I can double check

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

There is no firewall blocking us between our VDI client and VDM server. What port does it go over? I can double check

0 Kudos
dwchan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

port 3389 is fine between my vdm server to the vdi desktop. I can also rdp to my vdi desktop from my vdm server. I have see few posting going back and fore regarding to this type of error (some what generic). I have also check my dns resolution on both side, and it is fine. Do anyone has any more idea

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

so if the VDM agent is installed and you can RPD into it just fine, try restarting the VM in question. I have seen that after deployment, even though the vdm agent service is started, it's not completely ready for connections and a final reboot fixes it.

0 Kudos
dwchan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just did that, reboot/restart my vdi desktop, and try again (also close our my web access browser and relaunch it again), and getting the same result. Is there any log I can take a look at?

dwc

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

There are logs available on the agent, connection broker, and client but I'm not sure how much information you can pull from them. They is a support script that will gather all the logs and place them in a folder on your desktop. It's typically available under the DCT folder for example on my agent PC it's at this path. C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware VDM\Agent\DCT\vdm-support. You will need to run it from a command line.

Are there any users already logged into the VM you are trying to connect to? What about membership in the remote desktop user group for that VM?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
dwchan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I check the log (install, application, system, security) and didn't find anything that could indicated why it is failing. In matter of fact, it fail for both individual desktop and non-persistent desktop. This is driving me nut

0 Kudos
ms-2008
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the exact same issue. I was able to get one person connected successfully but the next person just keeps on getting the desktop failed to open. I have 3 VM's in a non-persistent pool. I looked at virtual machines setting and it shows the status that one of them is Connected and the other two are Ready and Customizing.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

look in virtual center and open the console of the Guests, it will tell you if some body is logged itto the session when you press ALT-CNTL-INS. I think you and your users a re disconnecting rather than logging off, this leaves the session as active, also in a persistent pool the machine is assigned to the first users who logs it.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
ms-2008
Contributor
Contributor

No one is logging into the session. I've just added 2 more vm's to the same pool and both new VM status is Customizing. I looked at the Events and I got this error message when failed to connect to the desktop "User domain\username could not be allocated a VM for desktop "desktop pool name" -reason: All sessions are busy -check for extraneous consle logins. I'm using a non-persistent pool. Thanks for the quick respond.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

If the status is custominsting then there is a user logged into the sesion, the local admin

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
mpryor
Commander
Commander

The "All sessions are busy -check for extraneous consle logins" means that all responding agents have an existing session so can't allow the user to connect. However, the agents stuck in the customising state are those that have not successfully started and reported their status to the connection server - please check that you're not hitting http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1005991 and that the support tool (c:\program files\vmware\vmware vdm\agent\dct\support.bat) runs successfully on your VMs.

dwchan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for the heads up regarding to a known issue. The problem seem to be got now with the lateset RC build. Once again, thank you

0 Kudos
ms-2008
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you everyone for helping out.

0 Kudos