VMware Horizon Community
DASIEric
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't Restart Instant Clone - Fails to Startup

I have a eval environment that I am testing. I'm using a Eval of Windows 10 as well. I've done a Windows 10 install and installed the proper Horizon agents. I have a new installation of Active Directory with very little customization done to it that Horizon and the Instant Clones use. When I create an instant clone desktop pool, the clones will create and startup and show provisioned. I'm able to log into them with out issue. As soon as I reboot any of them, I see the clone go into maintenance mode and then back into provisioning mode as it starts back up. At some point, it does look like its back up and running but then it shuts down. Horizon shows the machine as "Error" with the warning: "Resync of VM has failed: Fault type is SERVER_FAULT_FATAL - Runtime error: We only support DvsPortGroup and OpaqueNetwork as the target network for instant clones". If I remove the desktop with the error, Horizon will delete the machine and recreate it and it will startup and work correctly. If I manually startup the VM from VSphere, I'm able to use the direct Horizon connection to access the VM and when I try to log in it says the "The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed".

Any suggestions on what I can do to make this work?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kishoreg5674
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your response. VMware best practice for instant clone is to configure distributed virtual switches in the vSphere environment & It is mandatory to configure distributed virtual switches in the vSphere environment for dedicated instant clones.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kishoreg5674
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can you let us know the type of network selected for this instant clone pool deployment ? Standard switch\ DV Switch\NSX-t network.

Also, please share the version information of Horizon View, Horizon agent & vCenter.

0 Kudos
DASIEric
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Software Versions:

Horizon Agent: 7.8.0-12599301

Horizon View: 7.8.0 build-12637483

vSphere: 6.7.0.20000

ESXi: 6.7.0 Update 1 (Build 10302608)

I'm using a Standard Switch. Its the Default Switch created with the VM Network that ESXi creates automatically. It has a standard port group.

Switch Info

vSwitch Details

MTU 1500

Ports 11776 (11752 available)

Link discovery Listen / Cisco discovery protocol (CDP)

Attached VMs 30 (1 active)

Beacon interval 1

NIC teaming policy

Notify switches Yes

Policy Route based on originating port ID

Reverse policy Yes

Failback Yes

Security policy

Allow promiscuous mode No

Allow forged transmits Yes

Allow MAC changes Yes

Shaping policy

Enabled No

VM Network Info

Security policy

Allow promiscuous mode No

Allow forged transmits Yes

Allow MAC changes Yes

NIC teaming policy

Notify switches Yes

Policy Route based on originating port ID

Reverse policy Yes

Failback Yes

Shaping policy

Enabled No

0 Kudos
Kishoreg5674
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your response. VMware best practice for instant clone is to configure distributed virtual switches in the vSphere environment & It is mandatory to configure distributed virtual switches in the vSphere environment for dedicated instant clones.

0 Kudos
DASIEric
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you! Creating the Distributed Switch and assigning it to the master VM corrected the issue I was having with the instant clones.

0 Kudos