VMware Horizon Community
KGoch
Contributor
Contributor

Can't Connect via PCoIP

Today I deployed several new pools in View all with PCoIP as default protocol. However when I try to connect to any of the Pools I get an error message saying:

"The display protocol for this desktop is currently busy processing a request. Please contact your system administrator."

I bounced the View Manager Server, and then tried one of the pools again. This time it went through like normal, brought up a black window like it was connected, View Client just closed itself down. And now whenever I go back to select a pool I get the above error messge.

Connecting through RDP instead of PCoIP works just fine.

What's interesting is that the pool that existsed before today (which PCoIP was working just fine on) also gives the same error as above.

Any ideas on this?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Peter_Grant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried using Direct connection on the connection server?

Also what guest OS are you using?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Peter Grant CTO Xtravirt.com
0 Kudos
KGoch
Contributor
Contributor

Im not sure what Direct Connection is.

Two pools are running Windows 7 Enterprise, and the other two pools are running XP Professional. The error occurs on all four pools regardless of guest OS.

0 Kudos
KenUnger
Contributor
Contributor

There's various reasons for a "can't connect via PCoIP" failure with 4.0. Since you mentioned RDP, there is a "can't connect" issue if connecting with RDP, and then subsequently trying to connect via PCoIP and SSO is disabled or fails. The "workaround" is to log out using the vSphere console. This issue should be resolved in an upcoming View bug fix release.

0 Kudos
KGoch
Contributor
Contributor

Well Ill be, that. Worked. I logged in via RDP on to one of the pools. Logged into vCenter and logged myself off the desktop. Then I could reconnect to the pool using PCoIP. But faced an interesting problem where the PCoIP resolution was terrible, the window only appeared as a tiny screen instead of full screen.

Also regarding single sign-on, where are you talking about SSO? On the View client or on the desktops?

0 Kudos
KGoch
Contributor
Contributor

Erp, spoke to soon, seems as though it only applies to that specific desktop, not the entire pool. Well this has now become a rather annyoing and intriguing issue.

0 Kudos
JHAESC
Contributor
Contributor

The "tiny screen" issue is due to the video settings on the parent VM. Change the Hardware settings for the video card from "Auto-detect" to Reserve memory for the following selection" and change the Maximum displays to 2 and resolution and cloror depth to the highest settings. This will calculate the amount of RAM for you. Then click save and take a new snapshot. Spin the pool from the new snap shot and the video will adjust to the settings on the physical machine.

I am having PCoIP problems where the user is getting the message "The display protocol for this desktop is currently busy processing a request". The user can click "retry" several times and get connected or a work around I found was to have the user change the default protocol from the View client by clicking the arrow next to the Pool name and mouse over "Display Protocol" and click "Microsoft RDP". This will allow the user to connect.

0 Kudos
beangbs
Contributor
Contributor

I started having the same exact problem this morning. When I would login to my virtual machine from the View Client, I would get the following error message: "The display protocol for this desktop is currently busy processing a request. Please contact your system administrator."

I fought the problem for about 3 hours and finally called tech support. He looked at some internal engineering KB and had me do the following:

From the console on the problem machine:

1. Went to the registry folder: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\009\

2. From within that folder, look at the Counter string. My problem machine was completely blank under the Counter string. I went to a known good vm and looked at the same string, which had many different items in the string value.

He then had me go to the known good machine and copy the following 2 files (perfc009.dat and perfh009.dat) from c:\windows\system32\ to the same folder on the problem machine. When I started copying the files, it asked me if I wanted to overwrite the existing files. It seemed to be the perfc009.dat that was the problem file because when it asked me to overwrite the file, it said that I was going to change the file from a 0 kb file to a 73 kb file.

Once I copied the 2 files over, I immediately tried logging into the problem machine (without rebooting it) and was able to login successfully.

Now I can go to the Counter string in the registry, and it is no longer blank like before.

I asked the tech if he would try to get that internal engineering KB added to the general KB site, so we as end users would be able to search this fix.

I hope this helps you resolve your problem.

0 Kudos