VMware Horizon Community
charltonsect
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can a local user account be used with VMware View?

I have a bit of a unique situation.  I've virtualized a small PC (off the domain) which is essentially a controller or a large machine.  To run the vendor software, the local user account is needed.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to allow a local user account to be added in the View Manager.  Am I missing something, or is this just not a possibility?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

As Mark says, you can disable Single Sign-on on the desktop so that after you authenticate to View (this will have to be a domain user) you can then enter whatever credentials you need to on the desktop itself.

Details on the policy are in the View 5.1 Admin Guide on Page 163 and the policy is titled AllowSingleSignon:

http://pubs.vmware.com/view-51/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/view-51-administration.pdf

You could also take this one step further. After you have disabled SSO on the desktop you could set up kiosk mode in View so that the client used to connect to this desktop (if you're only using a single client) would connect up to that desktop automatically and then the user would simply see the Windows login prompt and be able to authenticate locally.

Twitter: @MikeBarnett_

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
23 Replies
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

U can try to add the same username and password that is on he pc that is not joined to the domain into active directory.

Entittle the AD user account to the VM.

Attempt to login using that account.   There is a good chance it may work.

If not, your only other option wouldbe to join the PC to the domain.

Larry B.

markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can also disable SSO on the virtual desktop so that you log in manually to the virtual desktop as a local (non domain) user.

Mark.

mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

As Mark says, you can disable Single Sign-on on the desktop so that after you authenticate to View (this will have to be a domain user) you can then enter whatever credentials you need to on the desktop itself.

Details on the policy are in the View 5.1 Admin Guide on Page 163 and the policy is titled AllowSingleSignon:

http://pubs.vmware.com/view-51/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/view-51-administration.pdf

You could also take this one step further. After you have disabled SSO on the desktop you could set up kiosk mode in View so that the client used to connect to this desktop (if you're only using a single client) would connect up to that desktop automatically and then the user would simply see the Windows login prompt and be able to authenticate locally.

Twitter: @MikeBarnett_
0 Kudos
charltonsect
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok so.. A couple things here.  The machine is joined to the domain, but unfortunately recreating the local user account in AD just doesn't work.

Following the other suggestions, I disabled SSO at the Global Settings, but I could not find it locally on the desktop.  I'm not sure if it's because this is a trial version, but I don't have any options in the agent install.  Am I missing something there?

I restarted the View server and the Client (Dell PX130).  It authenticates with the server and then automatically logs in with my account instead of prompting to allow me to use the local user account.

I hope I haven't left anything out.  Any suggestions?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It does not matter that its a trial version, you disable the SSO with a GPO, the gpo to set is called "AllowSingleSignon" and you can read more about it here: http://pubs.vmware.com/view-51/topic/com.vmware.view.administration.doc/GUID-AB42F842-BD66-4856-9E61...

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
charltonsect
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry, you have to forgive my ignorance.  A GPO on the View Server or on the Desktop client?

I'm not sure I understand.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That GPO would be applied to the client side.

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It is on the virtual desktop where View Agent is running. It determines if SSO is enabled. If it is not, the user will be prompted and can log in as a local account user.

This is all documented in the View 5.1 Admin Guide - search for View Agent Configuration ADM Template Settings.

Mark

0 Kudos
charltonsect
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found that location on the View Management Server, but not on the Desktop.  I have no idea how (or if its possible) to access these locations/settings on the Dell FX130.  Maybe that device is part of the problem.  I apologize.  I'm learning this as I go and I don't know really know enough to effectively troubleshoot the issue.

I'm using my domain account to authenticate the FX130 with the Pool/Desktop, but it then automatically logs in to the Desktop with my domain account instead of stopping and prompting for the local admin account.

Sorry.  I know my lack of knowledge makes this more complicated.

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You just need to configure the View virtual desktop (Where you installed View Agent) to not do SSO.

Mark

0 Kudos
charltonsect
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't have any options on the Desktop.  The Agent folder structure doens't include any of the ADM files to edit and there is nothing to access under Program Files.  Am I missing something?

This is an XP Pro (SP3) machine if that makes a difference.

Is there a registry change I can make?

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm not sure why I typed client but I promise I meant view desktop Smiley Sad

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Search for View Agent Configuration ADM Template Settings in the Admin guide. It includes this setting.

Mark

0 Kudos
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The ADM file is located on the View Connection Server.

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\extras\GroupPolicyFiles

There u have the adm file u need to add as a template.  (Select Adminstrative Template and right-click to import)

So the path to the GPO setting would be:

Computer Config - Policies - Classic Administrative Templates - VMWare View Agent Config - Agent Config

Select item "AllowSingleSignon" and "Disable" it

Larry B.

0 Kudos
charltonsect
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for that info Larry.  I still don't see that in the Admin guide.  Only which switches in the ADM file control what.

I imported the ADM file and disabled the GPO but still no luck.

I'm throwing in the towel on this.

Thanks though.

0 Kudos
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

B4 throwing in the towel try one last item.

The view client has no way of easily disabling logging in as current user once it is set.  Make sure it's disabled.

Run RegEdit.exe on the view client, your Dell FX160 box the old Win XP Client.

Goto the following key:

HKLM\Software\VMWare, Inc.\VMWare VDM\Client\Security

Make sure "LogInAsCurrentUser_Default" is set to "0"

and "LogInAsCurrentUser_Display" is also set to "0" so it does not show that as an option anymore.

Larry B.

0 Kudos
charltonsect
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Larry,

There is no way to access the Registry on the Dell Client and that key doesn't exist on the XP Desktop.  If you have any other suggestions, I'm open to try them, but I've devoted too much time to this project as it is.  It was a nice thought trying to virtualize these machines.  Maybe if I had a better understanding of SQL I would know how to edit the database to allow access from a domain account and - problem solved.

Although its frustrating to think that everyone is telling me that View should allow this behavior and I just can't get it to work.

Thanks again (to everyone) for the support.

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I know I've said this before on this thread, but in order to login to the View virtual desktop as a local account user, you need to disable SSO on the virtual desktop.

Your users will then be prompted for the local user credentials at the virtual desktop.

The instructions for doing this are in the Admin guide.

This is a common case with View and has always been supported. Many people are doing this today in their View deployments.

Mark

0 Kudos
charltonsect
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Mark,

I guess I'm dumb because I can't figure it out.  Sorry!

0 Kudos