VMware Horizon Community
garrisondev
Contributor
Contributor

Can I view a VM running on ESXi directly from the Android Horizon Client?

Disclaimer: I'm brand new to VMware and its ecosystem.

I've managed to install an ESXi host (version 6.5.0). I can connect to the host through a browser (both on desktop and in Android) and login to the UI presented there. I've spun up a VM and can confirm that all of that is working.

What I'd like to do is use the Horizon Client on Android to connect to this VM. Currently I'm just entering the IP address of the ESXi host. I've verified that the host is getting a connection from the Android device but I get an error message on Android:

Error: HTTP error 400

Please verify that Connection Server address and network settings are correct and try again.

I've seen this error in both version 3.1.0 and 4.2.1. As I said, I'm brand new to the VMware ecosystem so I imagine I'm massively oversimplifying what must be involved in getting this to work. Would I ever be able to connect with this setup? Do I need to install another VMware product between ESXi and the Horizon Client?

Message was edited by: Ashley George Added version information.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kevinf88
Contributor
Contributor

This is still a question, i too wish to view a vm from my esxi on Android. The HostUi web does not work in browser on Android well nor would it be a good experience. Please provide details if horizon view can be used or some other VMRC solution.

0 Kudos
erickbm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Maybe you could try the Direct Connect agent on the VM. If you install the VMware View Agent and the Direct Connect Agent on the VM, you could connect to it using the View client on the android device. The device will need to be on the same network at the VM though. It isn't supported to be externally accessible.

This link is older, but still has some good information.

Using VMware Horizon View Agent Direct-Connection in Horizon View 5.3 | VMware End-User Computing Bl...

Erick Marshall vExpert 15/16, VCAP-DTA, VCPx3, MCSE, MCITPx2, MCSAx2, MCTSx3, MCPx2, A+, Network+, UCP
0 Kudos
pchapman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The Horizon client is meant to connect to the horizon view connection server.  It sounds like you are trying to use the horizon view client to connect directly to an ESXi host.  You would need to deploy the horizon product, create a desktop pool, connect to a virtual desktop and use that to access your vCenter/VM. 

Basically, you are looking at the wrong product.  One wouldn't deploy an entire horizon infrastructure to do what you are looking to do.  You could, but it would be extremely costly...

0 Kudos
Kevinf88
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the confirmation. Hopefully VMware or a 3rd party will release an Android vmrc in the future. The web console almost works, no mouse interactionm

0 Kudos