VMware Horizon Community
thelink3810
Contributor
Contributor

Can I create one desktop pool for all remote clients

I have been searching for a few days and have not found a solid answer.  I have a pool of 10 workstations/servers that need to be accessed by a group of people.  I know I can create a pool, add the remote devices and add the proper entitlements.  My question is can I create a selectable pool so Joe User can select Workstation 1 and Mary Smith can use the same pool and select Workstation 2. 

Instead of having a list of pools like this...

Joe_Pool

Mary_Pool

Erin_Pool

Mike_Pool

Server1_Pool

Server2_Pool

I would like a pool like this 

Server_Access_Pool

Dev_Workstations pool

I apologize if this is easy, I'm standing up a VDI instance with very little Horizon experience.  I did a bunch of Microsoft RDS instances a while ago so I get the basic concept.  Thanks in advance.

Mike

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
NateNateNAte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes you certainly CAN do that in Horizon. It's been a feature since it was still called 'View'....so it's been a while.  

Here is the vmware Doc that outlines how you set-up a 'Dedicated Assignment Pool"

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon/2312/virtual-desktops/GUID-E12713D5-3530-422F-B265-B0F3FDD...

Essentially your "Dev_Workstations" pool would become a pool where you assign a user to each VM you allocate in that pool.  

Only tip is to ensure you're allocating enough resources (CPU and MEM mostly, but I don't know anything else about your infrastructure or policies so I'll leave it at those variables) to your VM's to support whatever workloads the users are running in that environment. 

0 Kudos
thelink3810
Contributor
Contributor

I dont think I explained myself correctly.  I already have pools where a specific user is assigned a specific VM. 

Lets say I have 100 servers, a mixture of VMs and Physical devices.  I also have a group of sys admins who need to connect to these devices, sometimes multiple people connecting to multiple servers at a time.  I want to set up one pool with all the devices so the sys admins can select which device they connect to.  Basically RDP isunreliable at best so I want to set up one pool instead of 100 pools.

I guess can Horizon be used as a sort of remote management tool?  Check out my "detailed diagram."  Thanks.

Mike  

0 Kudos