VMware Horizon Community
Inspector5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

CTRL-ALT-DELETE screen on reconnect

When my users reconnect to View they are at the CTRL-ALT-DELETE screen (see the image). Can any of you think of a setting that I may have set that would cause this? I don't recall what I changed but it was not always like this. It seems that a CAD is being sent when they reconnect because sometimes one can actually see the applications for a short fraction of a second before it changes to the CAD screen. We are using PCoIP and View 5.1.

reconnect.png

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EricConley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've seen this before and was able to solve it by making sure that the users have permissions to lock the virtual desktops.  Basically in my environment, at some point some of our users had a habit of locking shared workstations under their account and leaving for the day leaving the computer basically unusable for regular users unless they shut it off or called the helpdesk.  The "fix" to the problem was to explicitly deny those users the ability to lock the computer via group policy using the DisableLockWorkstation policy.  Fast forward a few years when we implemented VDI and those users who had been prevented from locking computers were getting the same symptoms you are seeing.  When we got rid of the DisableLockWorkstation policy everything worked great.  Bear in mind we are using XP and a mixed 2003.2008 domain so the policy might be a little different for Windows 7 2008 domain.

Additonal things to check are if you are using any kind of single sign on or anything else that affects the Windows GINA you may need to play with what order you install those applications in relation to the View Agent.  Sometimes the GINA chaining can get screwed up.  Also as a last resort uninstall/reinstall View Agent and VMware Tools.

Hope that helps

Eric

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
arnoldveenema
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same issue here. Did you had any feedback on this or do you still experience the same?

0 Kudos
Inspector5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, still occurring. I know this thread is old, I'm intentionally bumping it.

0 Kudos
EricConley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've seen this before and was able to solve it by making sure that the users have permissions to lock the virtual desktops.  Basically in my environment, at some point some of our users had a habit of locking shared workstations under their account and leaving for the day leaving the computer basically unusable for regular users unless they shut it off or called the helpdesk.  The "fix" to the problem was to explicitly deny those users the ability to lock the computer via group policy using the DisableLockWorkstation policy.  Fast forward a few years when we implemented VDI and those users who had been prevented from locking computers were getting the same symptoms you are seeing.  When we got rid of the DisableLockWorkstation policy everything worked great.  Bear in mind we are using XP and a mixed 2003.2008 domain so the policy might be a little different for Windows 7 2008 domain.

Additonal things to check are if you are using any kind of single sign on or anything else that affects the Windows GINA you may need to play with what order you install those applications in relation to the View Agent.  Sometimes the GINA chaining can get screwed up.  Also as a last resort uninstall/reinstall View Agent and VMware Tools.

Hope that helps

Eric

0 Kudos
Inspector5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We do have that policy set (and under a very similar chain of events). I'll try disabling it on the OU that contains the VMs and report back. Thank you.

0 Kudos
virtualbuddy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Its a basic Windows issue. The Base image for VDI desktop might had these settings.

To disable the Log On screen

Go to the "Control Panel".
Click on "Appearance and Personalization".
Click on "Change Screen Saver".
Unclick "On resume, display logon screen".

This will solve the above problems.

0 Kudos
bbstclp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This did not help for me, the checkbox is already uncheck for me. Out of other reasons I started all anew with a new windows domain, fresh group policies and a new View installation. Still, the problem persists. Users get the Windows security screen when reconnecting.

0 Kudos
Inspector5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It turned out to be the DisableLockWorkstation policy. We removed that and it's worked perfectly.

0 Kudos
JBYoung
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for this 9 years later. It's still an issue reconnecting to Windows 10 VDI with the DisableLockWorkstation policy set.

0 Kudos
David0121
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have fixed my problem by checking your keyboard / Language.

0 Kudos
MaorZo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

I know it's an old post but maybe it will help someone in the future...

On my VDI environments I've disabled the Lock feature because we are working in an isolated network with no internet at all - a completely "dark site", and I didn't want the users to lock and unlock their local computer AND their VDI machine as well.

So, until today I had this alt+ctrl+del window that popped-up each time a user reconnects to a session and that was very annoying.

After 3 years+- I've managed to solve this issue by changing a registry value (Can be done directly from Registry or from GPO)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
SoftwareSASGeneration

I've set the value to 2 instead of 1 that was configured in my environments.

Now, Lock option on VDI is disabled and no alt+ctrl+del window pops-up when reconnecting to a session.

Hallelujah! 🙂

0 Kudos
j-farm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You are the man, we have been looking for a resolution to this problem for what feels like forever and this has finally resolved the issue.

MaorZo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Happy that I helped someone... 🙂

Thank you j-farm and you're welcome.

0 Kudos