VMware Horizon Community
Anto1le
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

CLI for OSOT Update Image

OSOT Update Image actions: "Enable Windows Update", "Run Windows Update", "Restore to Original Settings" are only available through the GUI and I am struggling to integrate those actions in my day-2 gold image update automatic process.
Do you guys have some info to share about what are the commands behind "Changes the required registry values, local group policy and enables the required services"

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mrkasius
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Windows Update is included in the CLI with the parameter [-windowsupdate [enable | disable]]

All command line parameters are listed here.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Have you already checked https://techzone.vmware.com/resource/windows-os-optimization-tool-vmware-horizon-guide#controlling-c... ?

If that doesn't help, you can ask the question at https://flings.vmware.com/vmware-os-optimization-tool/comments.

-- If you find this reply helpful, please consider accepting it as a solution.
0 Kudos
Anto1le
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unfortunately no information were found under the Techzone article and the flings is no longuer beeing updated. 

However I did found an old answer from Graeme Gordon on the fling after a new search try: Comments | VMware Flings

1. Export registry key - HKLM/Software/Policies/Microsoft/Windows/WindowsUpdate
2. Delete registry key - HKLM/Software/Policies/Microsoft/Windows/WindowsUpdate
3. Set Windows Update service to manual
4. Run ‘gpupdate’
5. Run ‘usoclient StartScan’
6. Import the exported registry key
7. Disable the service - If it was previously disabled
8. Run NGEN - If .NET Framework updated (ngen executequeueditems)
9. Run DISM (optional) - dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup /resetbase

I will restart from here,

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
mrkasius
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi @Anto1le ,

VMware OS Optimization Tool is productized. You can download the latest version from Customer Connect.

0 Kudos
Anto1le
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I am using the last release of the tool from my products portal section but unfortunately this version doesn't include CLI for managing Update actions.

...maybe in the next release.

0 Kudos
mrkasius
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Windows Update is included in the CLI with the parameter [-windowsupdate [enable | disable]]

All command line parameters are listed here.

Anto1le
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was thinking that this command part of the optimization -o was just disabling the service but it does actually the whole set of actions mentioned above. 

This could be verified with the OSOT Logs available under C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Horizon OS Optimization Tool\Log

==> VMwareOSOptimizationTool.exe -o -windowsupdate [enable | disable] than a reboot to get the new configuration applied

Thanks @mrkasius  for pointing that out.