VMware Horizon Community
sandipt
Contributor
Contributor

C:\Windows\Temp\vmware-viewcomposer-ga-new.log file is not present on instant clone VM with Horizon View 7.11

I'm able to instant clone VMs using View Connection Server 7.11 and View Agent 7.11 . I have cloneprep power-off script added in View pool settings. But looks clonePrep script is not working as expected. I want to debug issue why the script is not using by checking the vmware-viewcomposer-ga-new.log file. But the file is not generating on VM at location  C:\Windows\Temp\ . I already set cloneprep.debug.mode = "ON" on the master VM image and took snapshot with these settings.  I have vGPU assigned to the master image. I have checked another customer's setup, their also I have not seen vmware-viewcomposer-ga-new.log file. Is the log file location got changed? Why this log file is not generating? I have applied all windows update on VM [Windows 10 RS5 ].

0 Kudos
22 Replies
RyanChristopher
Contributor
Contributor

We are using Instant Clones on 7.12 so Composer is not part of the equation here. Nor are double-quotes part of the issue (the Connection Server UI won't even let you save using single or double quotes).

That said, we found that with 7.12 (possibly also 7.11) we have an issue if deleting the C:\Windows\Temp\VMware folder and then pushing out a new image using Guest Customizations. We delete this folder (along with any other files/folders under c:\Windows\Temp) as part of our image cleanup when sealing our gold image. We have been doing this in all previous Horizon versions. Since the folder no longer exists, it appears the VMware Agent is unable to copy scripts to this location and process them.

As looking for a workaround, initially we were creating the folder and manually copying the script to this folder after cleanup and then shutting down to take a snapshot. Since then we realized we can just make sure the folder C:\Windows\Temp\VMware exists and then everything works as it did with 7.10.

To us this seems like a bug within the Agent since it should have logic to create this folder if it does not exist.

0 Kudos
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Has anyone gotten any updates on this issue?

We upgraded to Horizon 7.12 and now cannot get the Post Sync scripts working in our Windows 10 1809 VMs.

Just wondering if anyone had opened a support case with VMware.  There are two other reports of it in the VMWare backend support knowledgebase.

Two cases opened with the same scenario: Post Sync scripts stopped working after upgrading to 7.12.

In one case GSS was able to solve the issue by suggesting to the customer a different Syntax for the script, in the other Engineering had to build a fix so GSS could send it to the customer.

I'll let you know what VMware Support suggests for us.

The temporary workaround of copying the script file to "c:\windows\temp\vmware\"  works for my pools.  It's just not a practical long-term fix.

0 Kudos
epa80
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Bumping this after John's last reply.

Was this ever permanently resolved in a specific version? We're using Horizon 7.13 with Instant Clones and attempted to introduce a postsync script for Onboarding devices in Defender (used this blog as a guide: On-boarding VMware Horizon View Instant-Clone VDI Pools into Microsoft Defender Advanced Threat Prot...)

However, the job fails with the 15 second message in Horizon. We attempted to modifying the Timeout Limit for ClonePep scripts using the method he detailed, but it hasn't made a difference. I'm wondering if it's the same registry key, as he as well as VMware's own documentation, point you at a Composer key. This is instant clone though, so that key might not be correct is my only though.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos