VMware Horizon Community
brhirt
Contributor
Contributor

Broken pipe com.vmware.vdi.ice.server.c.a(SourceFile:208)

Working on getting a VDI available from the internet, but I am getting the following error.

(E82A56FCB6A524D2B600BF3CD824B57E) Exception while

forwarding data to tunnel: java.io.IOException: Broken pipe

com.vmware.vdi.ice.server.c.a(SourceFile:208)

java.io.IOException: Broken pipe

at simple.http.MonitoredOutputStream.destroy(MonitoredOutputStream.java:159)

at simple.http.MonitoredOutputStream.write(MonitoredOutputStream.java:111)

at simple.http.ResponseStream.write(ResponseStream.java:141)

at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)

at java.io.FilterOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)

at com.vmware.vdi.ice.server.az.a(SourceFile:105)

at com.vmware.vdi.ob.tunnelservice.cn.c(SourceFile:1140)

at com.vmware.vdi.ob.tunnelservice.u.a(SourceFile:1082)

at com.vmware.vdi.ob.tunnelservice.u.a(SourceFile:1021)

at com.vmware.vdi.ob.tunnelservice.bd.a(SourceFile:560)

at com.vmware.vdi.ice.server.c.a(SourceFile:206)

at com.vmware.vdi.ice.server.au.run(SourceFile:152)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I am also getting:

"The desktop has failed to open (VDI Persistant Desktop).

This desktop is currently not available. Please try connecting to this desktop

again later, or contact your system administrator."

Tied with this error in view manager:

(SESSION:3AD9A76944CD5D5FC0908986886597A0;672455C134669E6CBF79888F0FF85D4D) Failed to launch desktop CN=VDI-Pers-DT,OU=Applications,DC=vdi,DC=vmware,DC=int for user so_b2h com.vmware.vdi.broker.DesktopsHandler.a(SourceFile:1674)

java.lang.Exception: Error raising port: Unable to connect to 10.204.64.208:3389, reason: Connection timed out: connect

at com.vmware.vdi.sessionclientapi.TunnelManager.a(SourceFile:188)

at com.vmware.vdi.sessionclientapi.TunnelManager.raiseTunnelPort(SourceFile:309)

at com.vmware.vdi.sessionclientapi.TunnelManager.raiseTunnelPort(SourceFile:276)

at com.vmware.vdi.sessionclientapi.TunnelManager.raiseTunnelPort(SourceFile:263)

at com.vmware.vdi.sessionclientapi.TunnelManager.raiseTunnelPort(SourceFile:250)

at com.vmware.vdi.broker.DesktopsHandler.b(SourceFile:1818)

at com.vmware.vdi.broker.DesktopsHandler.a(SourceFile:1656)

at com.vmware.vdi.broker.DesktopsHandler.f(SourceFile:1650)

at com.vmware.vdi.broker.xml.ProcessorDesktopConnection.a(SourceFile:43)

at com.vmware.vdi.broker.xml.AbstractProcessor.b(SourceFile:75)

at com.vmware.vdi.broker.servlets.XmlServlet.doPost(SourceFile:67)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:710)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:269)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188)

at net.propero.portal.filters.AuthorizationFilter.doFilter(SourceFile:247)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:215)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188)

at net.propero.modules.properOps.ManagementFilter.doFilter(SourceFile:526)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:215)

at net.propero.portal.filters.ProperoAuthFilter.doFilter(SourceFile:407)

at com.vmware.vdi.broker.filters.XmlAuthFilter.doFilter(SourceFile:70)

at com.vmware.vdi.broker.filters.ServerConfigurationFilter.doFilter(SourceFile:88)

at com.vmware.vdi.broker.filters.EncodingFilter.doFilter(SourceFile:28)

at com.vmware.vdi.broker.filters.LoggingFilter.doFilter(SourceFile:107)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:174)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:117)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:108)

at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:174)

at org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke(JkCoyoteHandler.java:200)

at org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(HandlerRequest.java:283)

at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java:773)

at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java:703)

at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket$SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.java:895)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:689)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks for any info.

Brian

0 Kudos
13 Replies
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is the firewall disabled in both the client (you are trying to connect from) and the virutal machine (you are trying to connect to)?

I had similar issues and didn't realise the firewall on the VM would interfere at first.

Obviously, you wont want to disable the firewall in production, but for evaluation this will confirm that this is (or isn't) causing the issue.

Thanks

brhirt
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response.

I did check for firewalls on both client and VM and there was no firewalls on either. Although, speaking of firewalls, I found several ports not correct on the backend firewall here. I am having them make the change and will respond back if that was it.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

OK - good luck!

By the way, was there any entry above the start of the log you pasted, for the same date/time?

i.e., above this line:

(SESSION:3AD9A76944CD5D5FC0908986886597A0;672455C134669E6CBF79888F0FF85D4D) Failed to launch desktop ... ...

0 Kudos
brhirt
Contributor
Contributor

There was a "LAUNCH_FAILURE:Desktop:" message preceding the error.

0 Kudos
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Sorry to ask again, but is there any other entries with the same time/date (I suppose the time could be a couple of seconds out)?

Can you list them all to be sure.

Your previous error says:

Error raising port: Unable to connect to 10.204.64.208:3389, reason: Connection timed out: connect

Can you check what machine 10.204.64.208 is? This should be a VM that has been provisioned and ready (port 3389 is the port it would connect to on the VM agent, if I remember correctly).

I presume that you have installed the agent on the VM (on your "golden image"), but the problem may be with the VM itself not allowing connections, which is why I suggested the firewall at first.

You might well be on the right track with your hardware ports being closed. Check port 3389 - you could try telnet to connect to that IP and port to see if you get any response.

brhirt
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help MrBeatnik.

I found what the issue was. While in the process of getting the ports configured correctly, turns out there was one key missing item that our firewall team forgotten to do. That was to add a route to the VD environment. Once the route was added, everything works like a charm.

Note to people that are having issues like this:

1. Port 3389 open FROM Security Server TO Virtual Desktops.

2. Port 8009 open FROM Security Server TO View Manager

3. Port 4001 open FROM Security Server TO View Manager

4. Make sure Security Server can see BOTH View Manager AND Virtual Desktops <--My problem

0 Kudos
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Glad to hear you got it sorted! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
romatlo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am having the same problem but only from my Linux based VDM 3.0 clients. VDM 2.1 works fine and Windows XP VDM 3.0 clients work well. I am not using a Security Server (none added in View Manager console) and attempting connections from within internal network. I get the same error and event notification.

(SESSION:A10BB4549A5054EE00FC142CBE1D6683;194C5B7FE780D33460BB7E69A7E8219C) Failed to launch desktop CN=VDMdesktopID,OU=Applications,DC=vdi,DC=vmware,DC=int for user jsmith com.vmware.vdi.broker.DesktopsHandler.a(SourceFile:1674)

java.lang.Exception: Port not raised - no response received from VDM server

Any other suggestions? Thanks

0 Kudos
romatlo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My issue turned out to be different. I had to enable Direct Connect for desktops on my server. My linux clients are the only ones affected by this setting so far. Did not mean to spin anyone up... Thanks,

0 Kudos
bennun
Contributor
Contributor

romatlo,

I'm having the same problem with my HP Thinclient T5135 (Linux OS). I get the exact error, and the thin client won't connect. Did you enable "Direct Connect for Offline Desktop Operations"? Very strange error, because it works with other VDM clients.

0 Kudos
romatlo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I had to enable the Direct connection to desktop check box from the View Servers\Edit menu. My t5135 was failing before, but does connect now. The only thing is it takes me to the HP Thin Connect connection screen after the initial broker login page and I have to click connect again. I am using build 84 and enabling VDM client in the image.

0 Kudos
bennun
Contributor
Contributor

That did it. I made the same change and I was able to get in finally. This must be a bug with the T5135 thin clients. Same, here I had to click connect again to connect to the pool. But after a couple reboots, it doesn't happen anymore. I'm also using build 84 and vdm client.

0 Kudos
cmartin24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just wanted to add to this...I've been fighting an issue with similar errors in the View logs.

Our environment is  Client>Lan>Firewall>View Security>Firewall>Lan>Connection Manager.

User "A" was able to connect to the external View Portal and authenticate successfully. The entitled desktops would display however the "Status" displayed "Not Connected". So the tunnel never appeared to be building correctly.

The users machine had multiple NIC's. Once I adjusted the provider order so that the active nic was at the top of the list - whala!..I was able to connect successfully.

Hope this helps someone.

0 Kudos