VMware Horizon Community
BenoitCote
Contributor
Contributor

Boot up of Windows7 VM becomes 8 mins after View Agent 5.0 installed

Hi guys,

we are currently in trial with View 5.0 in our establishments and have pretty much everything we need to be able to run it. I was able to test View on a tablet and PC with the client installed without any issues on a very basic Windows7 installation(Win 7, Microsoft Updates).

We have a ''office'' type image, created from scratch in a VM that I wanted to test out.. making sure things like Office or any other type of basic software that a user in an office would use..

So I took my image and made sure all was up to date. My last step before i create a template on my ESXi server is to install the VM View Agent, add the Apex 2800 driver( we have a Teradici card in our server) and create my template, add it to a pool in my View-Connection server and you know the rest follows... add entitlements, etc..

The problem I have right now is as soon as I installed the View Agent 5.0 on my Virtual Machine.. it asks to reboot.. and then instead of booting up in 20 ish seconds.. it literraly takes close to 7-8 mins to get to the login screen.. At first I thought it could be my controller(using Paravirtual), so i switched it to the default of LSI SAS... still the same issue.. I uninstalled, reinstalled... as soon as View Agent is installed on my VM.... my VM is ridiculously slow to boot.. Once in windows though, I didn't see any performance issues. But is this normal.. does the agent have to go through some kind of process during boot up.. or is one of the software installed causing View Agent to become sluggish..

Any help on this would be very appreciated.. it might be a little thing I am not doing correctly. As I stated above, we are still in trial mode.. but are seriously considering to buy this option.. but I want to make sure all of it is installed and functionning accordingly.

Thank you for your help and time,

Benoit

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

What if you remove the Apex-driver?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
BenoitCote
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Linjo,

thank you for the thought. Sadly, the boot up issues started even before I installed the Apex drivers.. What happened is I installed the View Agent and rebooted. While it was doing so, my Console was hidden behind other servers that I was working with.. so I didn't really notice the major slow-down. I did notice it seemed to be taking more time then usual, but I thought View Agent was doing something in the ''first boot'' after install. So I didn't bother actually checking the exact time it took the first time. I logged in and installed the Apex, rebooted.. and stayed in front of my console this time and saw how long it was taking... that's when I wondered what was causing it.. as mentionned in my other post.. i thought it could be the Agent reacting to the paravirtual controller, so switched that out for default.. no improvement.. As soon as I take out the View Agent, my VM comes back to life and boots in less then 20 seconds..

Could it be caused by another already installed agent? I've got an AV running that uses an Agent to connect to a centralized console.. I just don't know what could be causing that. I'm still doing trial and error on my side.. but I don't want to have to uninstall half my software to find out it has nothing to do with them.

I'll let you know what I find and if I find a solution.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
BenoitCote
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Linjo,

it was indeed the Agent that controls my Antivirus system that caused the problem. What I am doing now is seeing if I can untinstall the AV agent, install everything else and then reinstall the AV Agent after.. I kind of what that in there.. but if I really can't have both, I will change my AV system.

Just thought you would want to know for future reference.. might not be just AV related, but most likely any other type of Agent that is already installed in the VM could possibly cause this kind of issue.

**EDIT: While I was typing this I was able to test out my theory and all seems to work now.. **

Thanks for everything!

0 Kudos