VMware Horizon Community
keviom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Blocking Iphone Plugged in to USB

I have configured GPO to block some USB devices using the View USB Configuration - Exclude USB Family with the following setting "o:bluetooth;com;hid;pda;storage;wireless". I was hoping this would exclude all USB storage devices etc. plugged in, but I have just checked a users zero client, and found their IPhone listed as a device and was able to browse through to the DCIM folder. I even reset their machine and as I logged them in the win7 auto play box popped up asking me how to handle the IPhone. Does anyone know what family the IPhone (and other smart phones) come under so that I can exclude all such devices.?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
4 Replies
childebrandt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Under the pool go to policies, and remove usb access. This will remove all USB storage devices.

@childebrandt42
0 Kudos
keviom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Doesn't that policy block all USB access, not just storage devices (including other things such as webcams and headsets etc). Also how does it handle USB redirection for printers etc when using the View client? I have to be fairly flexible on the USB connected devices for some users, but very strict for others. I was hoping to just be able to find out what "USB family" smartphones come under.

0 Kudos
childebrandt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It does block scanners, but not headsets. I am not for sure about webcams. But i know most things work that do not have storage on them. I know bar code scanners work, keyboards, Mice, printers, and headsets work. Our big deal is data leaving the company with a USB of any kind. We block all USB storage devices.

You could also do this in your GPO

Computer configuration > policies > windows settings > security settings > file system

right click and ADD FILE and type %systemroot%\inf\usbstor.inf

and within this you should be able to grant a AD group certain permissions to that file (i.e DENY).

@childebrandt42
0 Kudos
keviom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately scanners is also an issue as we have those as well. Users just like to make our life difficult :smileycry:

If anyone knows the USB family  for Smart phones I would be grateful

0 Kudos