VMware Horizon Community
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Blast, H264 and colorspace - 4:4:4 or 4:2:0

Hullo,

it's possible to know if blast is using a 4:4:4 or 4:2:0 colorspace when econding to H264? When I use blast I always get fuzzy images that seems to come from a 4:2:0 encoding.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

no,

no workaround. I spoke with an engineer and the problem is lack of support for 4:4:4 in hardware.

I hope they will in future use different encoder in blast, depending on the type of image.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RandyDGroves
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It is definitely using 4:2:0 encoding and apparently at a higher level of quantization (i.e. lower quality) than other H.264 protocols on the market based on our measurements of image quality.

0 Kudos
Bleeder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Any workarounds for this?  I'd like to avoid switching to JPEG/PNG encoding.  Even text on a "plain black" background is fuzzy-looking, and I put "plain black" in quotes because it has an odd tint to it with Blast.

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

no,

no workaround. I spoke with an engineer and the problem is lack of support for 4:4:4 in hardware.

I hope they will in future use different encoder in blast, depending on the type of image.

0 Kudos
RandyDGroves
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can always use PCoIP which has a fully-reversible 4:4:4 color space conversion which enables the ability to efficiently build to fully lossless color.

Bleeder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Horizon 7.4 added a new "H.264 High Color Accuracy" policy that supports the YUV 4:4:4 colorspace.

What's New in VMware Horizon 7.4 and Horizon Client 4.7 | VMware End-User Computing Blog

0 Kudos
BBittner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How can I verify that the Horizon-Clients is using 4:4:4?

Is there a Debug-Log or something similar?

0 Kudos