VMware Horizon Community
etsmc
Contributor
Contributor

Black screen after shrinking parent VM

Having a strange issue with our view 5.2 environment. We had a parent VM that was created with a hdd of 100gb thin provisioned, a linked clone pool was then created from this VM.

what we have done is used vmware converter and shrink the parent VM to a new VM down to 35gb and then used this new parent VM for the pool. The problem is when logging in to the pool now you see the welcom screen for a split second then the screen goes black but you still hear the windows loading sounds. the VM is windows 7 64bit.

I have tried reinstalling vmware tools and the view agent and recomposing the pool with that but still have the same issue.

i have been through the KB articles on black screen but evrything seems to be correct as the pool was working and does work if we recompose it with the original parent VM.

any ideas??

0 Kudos
1 Reply
etsmc
Contributor
Contributor

well figured out that the pool with the new parent VM works on ipads and android tablets ok. on the windows client if i reduce the view client window down to a smaller size the desktop appears.

i have just tried to set the resolution in the pool setting up to 1920x1200 from the old setting of 1680x1050 but still seem to have the same issue.

the parent vm hardware settings appear to be the same the only different is under the video card the new parent vm has the option for 3D Support but its not ticked. (yes forgot to mention that we have also done a HW upgrade to version 9 from 7 on the new parent vm)

0 Kudos