VMware Horizon Community
nnmansoori
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bi-directional sound

hi

This is about 1 year and half that I am working on VDI, since VI 3.5 and view 3.0, the issue was bi-directional sound, because it was not supported by RDP protocol, in view 4.0 and PCoIP protocol, it is claimed that bi-directional sound is supported, I tested, but I still have the same issue and have one directional sound, does anyone have the same exprience?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MickQuick
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

i can tell you that i'm using view 4 on vSphere 4-U1 and my virtual desktop are reached by PCoIP. On these desktop it's installed a software for IP phone, Nortel Softphone. My colleagues uses a sort of USB Headset ( headphone, microphone and a device used for pick up/hung up the line ) and it works fine. I also tried an interactive training course for which users must speak into a microphone and it worked fine.

Using RDP none of these applications worked.

Michele

0 Kudos
hmartin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you are using a client with the Teradici hardware chip, then bi-directional audio is not yet supported.

0 Kudos
nnmansoori
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi guys, thanks for your reply, I started my PoC for VDI in call center, it is going to be for 62 users, I used Wyse TCX Rich sound and RDP, and Bi-Directional sound is working there, with PCoIP and USB headset, I could aslo have Bi-directional sound, the point is that, I still have performance issue, with Wyse TCX Rich sound, during the day, some times I have voice quality issue, with USB headset I have the same issue, there some short time disconnecting during the conversation, some of our consultants says it could be network issue, does anyone has such an exprience?

0 Kudos
nnmansoori
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi guys, thanks for your reply, I actually tested sound in 2 ways:

1: Wyse C10LE, using TCX Richsound, and RDP protocol, I have Bi-directional sound, but the sound quality is sometimes good and sometimes bad.

2:Wyse C90LE, using PCoIP, and USB Headset, Jabra GN2000, I have Bi-Directional Sound, but again the quality is sometimes good and sometimes bad.

because of this, I think that could be network issue, cause in some hours during the day, the quality is good and some of the times it is bad, does anyone have such an exprience?

0 Kudos
Andr3y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If we look into details: TCX Rich Sound is using UDP for bi-directional sound and as far as I'm aware of when you redirect your headset using win32 PCoIP View client (if you do this via drop down menu of your session) the actual USB redirection is using TCP protocol, same as win32 View 4 RDP USB redirection(but please double check with VMware/Teradici).

So both solutions are a bit different from networking side of things and if they both experience similar behaviour on same network it could be networking issue or maybe issue with you softphone box.

Maybe as a test, setup another softphone client on same site on PC with XP Pro, so it's not suing Virtual desktop, and try to make a phone call when all VM's experience quality issue, see what quality you will get, the result should give you hints if the issue linked to the link or DC and set you on the right path.

If no certain result, do further isolation tests , same as when you get ADSL dropouts Smiley Wink

hope this helps,

Cheers,

Andr3y

0 Kudos
nnmansoori
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks a lot for your reply, but I also have experience with Jabra GN2000 analog headset and TCX Rich sound and Wyse C10LE, in this way, there is no disconnection, the input sound is perfect, but the output sound is little week, but there is no disconnection issue, do you have any idea in this regard?

0 Kudos
Andr3y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would reccomend to get in touch with your local Wyse team and make sure you running latest firmware and latest TCX HF, maybe they also can give you some further tips. But if issue persists you will need to find the root cause by elemination, starting from direct connect and adding nodes by 1.

hope this helps,

Cheers,

Andr3y

0 Kudos
nnmansoori
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, I am using PCoIP now, and everything is working fine, it is resolved.

0 Kudos