VMware Horizon Community
jbednarz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Best upgrade path for Horizon and vSphere

Hello,

I have question about upgrade path for Horizon and vSphere. I have Horizon in 6.2.3 version, vCenter on Windows Server 6.0 U1 and host in 5.5u3. What is the best path of upgrade? At the begining i shoud upgrade vCenter to version 6.0u3 and hosts to newest version supported of vCenter and next Horizon 6.2.3 to 7.8, and next vCenter and ESXi to nevest version? 

7 Replies
vJoeG
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just be sure to check the Matrix so that everything is still compatible

VMware Product Interoperability Matrices

It's recommended to upgrade vCenter first, then the ESXi and then Horizon to avoid any incompatibilities and cause any outages.

Hope that helps

------------------
Joe Graziano
Senior Solution Engineer - EUC Federal
VCP7-DTM, VCP6-DM, VCP6-DCV
vExpert, vExpertPro
jgraziano@vmware.com
0 Kudos
vBritinUSA
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, you are correct as that as your upgrade for vCenter and ESXi,

vCenter

6.0>6.0u3

ESXi 5.5u3 > 6.0u3

Composer 6.2.3 to 7.X

Connection Servers 6.2.3 to 7.X

Security/UAG

Agents

Then vCenter 6.0u3 to 6.X

Check physical ESXi servers to check the version of ESXi that can be run on them.

Good luck!

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
jbednarz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, I will try this path. One more question I have now vCenter on Windows with external MSSQL, can I migrate to vCSA when I update 6.0 to 6.0u3 or I should wait and migrate to vCSA on the end?  Or maybe I should stay with the Windows vCenter?

0 Kudos
jbednarz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, i check but  vCenter 6.0u3 and esxi 6.0u3 support Horizon in all version, and vCenter 6.7u1 not support Horizon 6 and I cannot upgrade vCenter to newest version. That's why I want to upgrade to version 6.0u3, then horizona to the newest version because it is entered and I will later update to the latest version of vCenter and esxi. Are there any contraindications to do that?

0 Kudos
vBritinUSA
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That's what I was trying to state but wasn't the clearest. Upgrade to latest vCenter and ESXi after Horizon is on 7.X

Just make sure you look at VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search to make sure your you know what is the latest supported version of ESXi on your hardware.

0 Kudos
vBritinUSA
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I would wait till the end, the tool to do this has got a lot better in 6.7.

Migrate to the vCenter Server Appliance - VMware vSphere Blog

But if you have Composer co-installed with the Windows vCenter you need to move that to a new VM before you do the conversion.

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What does your environment looks like in terms of virtual desktops? If it's relatively simple I would build a new 6.7 VCSA with Horizon 7.x and then migrate over.

0 Kudos