VMware Horizon Community
Poom22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Best solution for Cloud Pod architecture for DR ? Veeam for total pools replication ( v6.2.1) ?

Hi all

Need some advice as I'm trying to setup Cloud Pod architecture for DR purposes and as I understand it :

It is possible to have a complete replicated set of Pools on your secondary non home site pod in the federation using 3rd party replication software, but considering how VMware Horizon works with making pools and composing etc , I don't understand how this works , does anyone? I can only see at the moment how to do it manually, ie each time you update a Golden image you replicate it over to the other POD ( Cross data centre ) and recompose the pool again, then via Global entitlements it handles the availability ( I'm not even thinking of manual machines the moment )

BUT from what I have read on CPA there may be a better fully replicated way to do it.. similar to fault tolerance , but I just cant see how to do it in the Horizon admin interface

If I can't do the above I guess i'll do it manually and do double recomposes on each pool , first on primary pod then the secondary pod

To be more concise with what I want to achieve -

User 1 logs onto Pool A , Pool A is down in datacentre 1 , logs onto Pool A in Datacentre 2 which is exactly the same in datacentre 2 . Minimum admin to maintain

This is what is said in an article about uses for CPA - •Disaster recovery – The global user-entitlement layer can be used to assign a user to desktops in both Pod 1 and Pod 2. If Pod 1 were to become unavailable either due to a data-center failure or to another form of failure, the user could always get to a desktop in Pod 2. It is important to note that this feature assumes that the desktops in Pod 1 and Pod 2 are replicated using some form of data-replication technology."

I could replicate fine with Veeam, but do not understand how to keep those desktops up to date in Horizon

0 Kudos
4 Replies
lvanek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

are you using persistent or non persistent desktops?

upgrade to 7.0 you can assign the user a "home site" if that is unavailable the user can automatically get a desktop in pod b

the ideal way for this is Non-Persistent, using App Vol, UEM, Roaming Profile and Folder redirection. that keeps the user experience the same no matter what pod they are receiving their desktop from.

0 Kudos
Poom22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi , a mixture of persistant and non

I think you can assign a home site in 6.2.1 from what I have seen , but maybe it lacks some of the features of 7?

thanks, maybe I'll have to re think the whole architecture

I still wonder if it is possible to replicate a whole Pool structure in a fault tolerance type way

0 Kudos
lvanek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

‌in 6.2 you can assign a homesite yes. But for the second pod you would either need to assign the users a global entitlement. Of manually assign them a desktop/entitle them in pod b if pod a was down.

One new feature in 7.0 for the pods is automatic failover. If the user is assigned to pod a and its down it will automatically assign a user one in pod b.

I Would highly recommend upgrading to 7.0 as they have improved a lot on the cloud pod features. I am deploying this for a customer now but trying to work out a few issue with the F5 load balancing before I can test this failover feature. Once I do I'll post results and findings.

0 Kudos
Poom22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, I have an F5 too so i'll be trying the same

0 Kudos