VMware Horizon Community
cz57avenger
Contributor
Contributor

Best remote printing options for end users working remotely? USB redirection vs vmware advanced printing

Horizon 7.7

vSphere 6.5

Desktops are created via a master image

I'm working on configuring an environment for users to work remotely and printing has been a tough thing for me to figure what way is best. Most of these users have either Dell Wyse Zero Clients, or work laptops with the Horizon client installed on them. A good chunk of these users have HP LaserJet Printers hooked up to those devices via USB.

Currently right now, I have vmware advanced printing configured, with a GPO stating to always use UPD and it works great. However, the problem I'm running across is that it's creating duplicates for printers preloaded on the machine (e.g. Print to PDF) as well as other ones pushed out via GPO (we have a Follow-Me Printer pushed out to all desktops via GPO).

So for example I have the Follow-Me printer with the network drive, and then I have the Follow-Me(v2) with the UPD. Same thing with Print to PDF, Fax etc.

I could in theory remove all the preloaded drivers on the master image, but that doesn't resolve the network follow me printer duplicate that gets created.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction on if this is something that can be addressed, or if there's a better way to configure remote printing.

Note that I do have USB redirection on these as well, but I'm not sure how to properly stage the drivers on the master image. Simply installing a generic universal printer driver on the master image wasn't sufficient enough for the printers automatically take them.

0 Kudos
0 Replies