VMware Horizon Community
kappyninewood
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Best practices upgrading from View 4.0 to View 4.6

Hi,  I'm looking at upgrading my view 4.0 environment to view 4.6 and have looked at the upgrade guide. Should I upgrade my vSphere environment from 4.0 to the latest 4.1 environment before tackling my view upgrade? If so, what can I use/say to justify the upgrade of 4.0 to 4.1? Better performance?  Any helpful links for the view upgrade will be greatly appreciated and points awarded!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
uday_s
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Please follow the steps mentioned in Upgrade Guide. They are pretty easy to follow.

In brief:

1. Upgrade View Connection Server components

2. Upgrade View Composer

3. Upgrade vSpehere environment

4. Upgrade VMware Tools and the virtual hardware on all parent virtual machines, virtual machine
templates, and virtual machines that host View server components such as View Connection Server
instances.

4. Upgrade View Agent and Client components.

Documenting your settings will be a good idea, so that your can recreate them if any problems.

In case of Linked Clone Pools, upgrade agent in gold image and recompose pool with this gold image.

KB 1022140 might be helpful for you to upgrade from ESX4.0 to ESX4.1

KB 1027095 might help to some extent.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
uday_s
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Please follow the steps mentioned in Upgrade Guide. They are pretty easy to follow.

In brief:

1. Upgrade View Connection Server components

2. Upgrade View Composer

3. Upgrade vSpehere environment

4. Upgrade VMware Tools and the virtual hardware on all parent virtual machines, virtual machine
templates, and virtual machines that host View server components such as View Connection Server
instances.

4. Upgrade View Agent and Client components.

Documenting your settings will be a good idea, so that your can recreate them if any problems.

In case of Linked Clone Pools, upgrade agent in gold image and recompose pool with this gold image.

KB 1022140 might be helpful for you to upgrade from ESX4.0 to ESX4.1

KB 1027095 might help to some extent.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
SDO1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Read the manual ..

the steps are fast and easy to follow ..

besides doing a next nex next finish upgrade of all components read carefully the steps for connection servers (stopping services, backing up adam instance), and backing up the databases etc ..

screenshot ALL your pool setups