VMware Horizon Community
tuftsVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Best practices on storage management for Horizon View 7.5

Hi folks,

Our current environment is Horizon 7.5.1

We currently have about 400 desktops (we expect the VDI desktops to grow more in the future) using link clones, but we want to switch to instant clones and use AppVolumes. 

Storage we will be using - 10 TB of SSD storage VMFS6, split into 1TB chunks. Separately we have 7TB - non-SSD NFS3 – for Master images.

We were thinking of splitting up the 10TB SSD to 1TB drives and use 1 of the 1TB just for Replicas and use the remaining 9 for Linked Clones and AppVolume packages.

Vol 1 to Vol 9 -  1TB each- Linked Clones and AppVolume
Vol 10 1TB- for Replicas

Can someone collaborate on the above? What would you recommend, and is the above making sense?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I have basically the same layout with 3,000 linked clones. We have 15 datastores for linked clones and 1 dedicated replica datastore. We just want to stay under the Virtual Machines per LUN limit of 500.

VMware Horizon 7 sizing limits and recommendations (2150348)

View solution in original post

3 Replies
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I have basically the same layout with 3,000 linked clones. We have 15 datastores for linked clones and 1 dedicated replica datastore. We just want to stay under the Virtual Machines per LUN limit of 500.

VMware Horizon 7 sizing limits and recommendations (2150348)

tuftsVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Ben, this is really helpful. I know about the LUN limit. I'm also curious about the spread for each desktop pool, do you allow each pool to utilize all available LUNs? Or you pick for each pool the number of LUNs to be used?

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I just select all of the datastores and let Horizon manage it. In past environments we would dedicate 2-3 datastores to a pool or several pools and I found that more difficult to manage. The only downside here is all of the pools would have to be rebalanced whenever we retire the array.

0 Kudos