VMware Horizon Community
laboo
Contributor
Contributor

Best desktop experience for at thin/zero client

I have been setting up a Windows 2012R2 RDSserver (in a vCenter 6.5)  and a number of clients connects to it through RDP (well ok... FreeRDP)

It works great except for multimedia. I get a lot of "chopped" video and sound. Bandwith is unlimited 1 Gbps. On the RDS server, I see a lot of CPU usage, and it helps adding more CPU's... It works better, but still not perfect. I can't measure local client CPU, but I guess the problem is here.

I understand that you can use "RemoteFX", but this is only for MS HyperV? On Vmware you use Horizon... correct? But is this an addon to Windows RDS? And will FreeRDP benefit from this?

Regards, Lars.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
danieldietrich
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Lars,

for better performance you should use RDSH servers in VMware Horizon. You can call it an Add-On for your RDS Servers, but Horizon is so much more.

With this technology you could use Blast Extreme instead of RemoteFX in combination with Multi-Media Redirection, if your Thin Client supports this feature.

Another option is any kind of graphics acceleration, which will be in my opinion the only option for Zero Clients.

Best regards Daniel Dietrich VCP, VCAP, vExpert & EUC-Champion
0 Kudos
laboo
Contributor
Contributor

Ok... and maybe a stupid question.. if so, please bear with me... (-;

My thin client can use "vmviewpcoip" - Can I use this to connect to my Windows RDS server and benefit some enhanced multimedia streaming?

I am a bit unclear of the terms in this areas... VMview, Horizon, PCoIP...

I would like to stay on VMware rather than moving to HyperV just beacuse of this, but I want the users to get a good desktop experience on thin clients.

Regards, Lars.

0 Kudos