VMware Horizon Community
andriven
Contributor
Contributor

Best View Thin Client

I'm working on building out a VDI business practice (I'm an engineer with a Value Added Reseller) and have recently been spending a lot of time evaluating thin client options (as it seems there are no shortage of them).

Given that, I'm curious if there are any thin clients out there that people particularly like (or dislike) for View deployments.

I'm happy to add in my own research (and hands-on testing starting very soon....demo units on their way) but didn't want to slant the conversation.

Thanks in advance for any input!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AGratefulDad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have used Wyse P20's and Dell FX100's and were very disappointed with the results. We were a Dell shop and the support was terrible both from Wyse and Dell - so we demo'd a couple of HP 5740's and HP 4410 TC Laptops and have had great success.

They are stable, the ability to patch new clients once made available is a great plus for us. Also, we have found that for WAN based connections, the PCoIP did not fit our needs, but all terminals shipped with RDP 6. The ability for us to upgrade to RDP 7 on these terminals have made it a great success for everyone, our bandwidth across branch office VPN's dropped by 1/2 and the user experience, greatly improved.

Just my thoughts and experience.

--

Twitter: thevirtualguy

Twitter: @thevirtualguy
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The Wyse P20 is a eVGA OEM device and if I remember correctly, the FX100 as well. But last could also be a Devon IT device. Leadtek is also OEMing the eVGA PD01. These clients are all doing HW PCoIP.

My favourites are Windows Embedded devices with installed VMware View Windows Client.

Regards,

Christoph

Don't forget to award the points if this answer was helpful for you.

Blog:

http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/dommermuth |

0 Kudos
andriven
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks all for the input. Just to contribute a bit back myself, I've recently been testing some 10 Zig demo units.

While all thin clients are somewhat similar (especially the Teradici OEM chip ones), their management console for their regular clients is quite impressive -- very intuitive and much easier to use than others I've tried (more Windows MMC based than a web client...right-click and wander your way through most things without even needing a manual).

0 Kudos
TravisT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would be interested to hear about what people think of the Pano Logic devices.

Thanks,

Travis

0 Kudos
btdrew
Contributor
Contributor

There are ofcourse a number of things to consider as you are no doubt aware. One enviroment may have a need for embedded windows for example and another might not. In general though, barring no specific requirements, check out the Wyse V10L or other ThinOS models. The benefits are pretty compelling.

-embedded View client

-very fast boot around 15sec

-little to no patching

-manage firmare upgrade and any patches from a single FTP server - that's all that's needed to manage 100s and 100s of these things

-can use TCX extensions for multimedia, a super USB redirection

-cheaper than corresponding Windows based models

-ultra secure

-only down side at this time is lack of PCoIP support

Check it out. I'd like to hear other's experiences and that of zeroes as well.

brian

0 Kudos
rebootuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've only used the Wyse S10. The general performance seems comparable to a local pc, well all excluding the graphics. We're looking to test the Wyse C10LE, so if anyone has an opinions on this I'd be more than happy to hear them.

My Blog: http://rebootuser.com If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos
AGratefulDad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I will be away on vacation from July 30th to August 9th, 2010

inclusive with limited access to e-mail and no access to voicemail.

If this is of an urgent nature - please contact Michelle Hollman -

Admin Supervisor in my absence at (403) 291-2818 ext. 2231

Thanks!

--

Regards,

Jason Morris

Manager of IT Services | Concord National - Prairie Division

#7, 2611 - 37 Ave NE. | Calgary, Alberta | T1Y 5V7

p. 403-291-2818 x2233 | f. 866-772-7121

WE BUILD GREAT BRANDS!

Twitter: @thevirtualguy
0 Kudos
chaz112182
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i have tested both the panologic zero client and the wyse p20 zero client. the panologic zero client performs well no major issues in testing. i've also been very impressed with the p20 thus far. the one major complaint ive been dealing with is that when connecting to a view desktop via PCOIP using the p20 the user doesn't have any way of adjusting their resolution. i believe this is going to be resolved in an upcoming firmware release though.

0 Kudos
andriven
Contributor
Contributor

Just to contribute a bit back in various areas....some information and some questions....

• How is video on the Panologic clients? I was frankly a bit put off by their using PDP rather than PCoIP b/c I wasn't sure about the video and/or bandwidth. It also looked like PDP is a LAN only protocol (not an inherent issue but one that does somewhat limit the use cases).

• I've now deployed a lab with a mix of Samsung NC190 and NC240 clients (monitor combined with Teradici chipset -- i.e. same as Wyse P20...same firmware, management console, etc.). I really, really like them...both the monitor + client all wrapped into one and especially the Teradici zero client (whether it's from Samsumg, Wyse, 10 Zig, or DevonIT).

• Audio -- I've recently been working with a customer who's run across crackling audio issues (currently the support ticket has been escalated to development). We don't get any audio crackling with a Teradici zero client (V9000 in this case) but do get it with Linux based thin clients as well as repurposed Windows machines.

• 10 Zig -- I'm still very impressed with 10 Zig's management console....just very nice.

• Teradici Management Console -- this one as well is VERY good....quite simple but does everything I want (and can use the same management console with Wyse P20, 10 Zig V9000, DevonIT TC10, Samsung NC190 & NC240).

0 Kudos
buckethead
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have tested the Dell FX100, Samsung NC190 & NC240, and Pano. I tried to get devices from HP, but they kept trying to convince me to just buy PC's or blade workstations so they cut themselves out of the testing. We also tested the following devices from Wyse: V10L (been using it for 2 years with XenDesktop), R50, R90, and X50.

I didn't like the Pano because it only did RDP and we are wanting to put thin clients in remote offices.

The Samsung and Dell devices were very good. I love the Zero clients and the Teradici Management Console is a good management tool. The Wyse P20 performed outstanding as well.

The Wyse R50L is the one that stood out the best for us. It has a Linux based View Client and can work with multiple connections brokers. So we felt this end point would give us the most flexibility and we were able to lock the thin client down and modify how it looks to users on different subnets based on the config file we present them. The concern with the Zero Clients is that we would be locked into PCoIP and if something better comes along in a couple of years we would need to buy a new thin client. A model that is flexible is the way we chose to go.

I would have liked to have tested the models from 10Zig or DevonIt but it just didnt' work out with our timeline.

0 Kudos
AlexFinns
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I know this thread is really old but is there by any chance anyone who still has Pano Manager installation files? I have been scavenging the internet for them but to no avail. If not Pano ones also Fujitsu Zero client ones. I need both of them.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Kind regards,
Alex

0 Kudos
jc296
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've  worked with Amulet zero clients (DX-Z4s) but also used 10Zig thin clients on a number of research projects. Both v stable and the 10zig management tools were simple to use. I believe the 10zigs had an installed Horizon client which could utilise PCoIP, Blast Extreme and RDP so pretty flexible.  Price point was ok and can remember support was satisfactory.

0 Kudos