gfriedmanva
Contributor
Contributor

Best Practice for View 5 Setup

Our current host is configured as follows:

VMWare ESXi 5.0.0

2 X 2.4 GHZ Processor Sockets

6 Processors cores per socket

Logical Processors total = 24 (hyper threading enabled)

Memory = 87670 MB

We want to setup 13 View machines (i.e. Virtual Desktops).  Our base image is configured as follows:

Memory = 1024 MB

CPUS = 1

We will also be running one or two virtual servers on the same host, but the View machines are lower priority. So my quesiton is this; b/c I am only assigning them 1 CPU and 1024 MB of RAM, those machines will never consume more than those resources even though on the "Resource Allocation" Tabe the "limit - mhz" is set to "unlimited" and the "reservation - MHZ" is set to "0". Do I need to make any adjustments on the virtual machine's resources tab and set limits to the CPU and memory?

Also, what does the "share" column on the same tab refer too?

And lastly, is best practice to allocate resources to a virtual machines CPU and Memory settings if a high priorty machine (i.e. email server, web server) so it doesn't have to compete/balance those? or does it matter.

Thanks,

Greg

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Your discussion has been moved from VMware vCenter™ to VMware® Horizon™ View forum. 

The machine cannot use more than what you assign it therefore I see no reason for you to impose limits from the resource allocation tab. 

The shares value dictates what percent of resources the VM will receive in the event of resource contention.

0 Kudos