VMware Horizon Community
daogiang
Contributor
Contributor

Bad video performance with VM view

Hi,

I have a problem with video playback over WAN using PCoIP. My netwok is 100Mb of bandwith and RRT is 15ms , and for VDI, i use Samsung NS 190 zero client but i have suffered bad video performance (Video do not smooth, it playback choppy and slow in full screen mode ). what is the main reason of this problem? cause of Network, PCoIP protocol , zero client or others? Please help and explain why for me (a technical explanation). Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

0 Kudos
daogiang
Contributor
Contributor

Hi man,

Thanks for your help , but it does not work. I am sitting in a dater center, using VDI device to conect to a virtual desktop which is installed in another data center (connection here is very fast WAN). I have done tuning server site, PCoIP parameters... but video playback still choppy and slow. So what is the problem here? PCoIP protocol performance is too bad, isn't it? some people said Citrix HDX performed very well with Video but PCoIp is.. , please help!

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

What does your PCOIP logs say?

How about CPU resources on the VM?

If all else fails I recommend opening a ticket with Teradici support as it's free and they are quick to respond.   http://techsupport.teradici.com/ics/support/mylogin.asp?splash=1&deptID=15164

0 Kudos
daogiang
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thank you.

Because I am testing so I allocated 12 CPUs, 4Gb RAM, GPU:128Mb (maximum of VM) for VM, and running windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit

the PCoIP log files said:

bandwidth : 3979 kbps (watching youtube in small mode)

7579 kbps (wathicng youtube in full screen mode)

packet loss: up to 2.75%

latency : up to 17ms

jitter: up to 10ms

please give some suggestions Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
RickBoyett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What kind of YouTube playback performance do you get when you access your environment with a Windows View client?  I want to see if the problem persists when you eliminate the Samsung client. 

========================================================================= Rick Boyett HP Enterprise Services Infrastructure Modernization (IMOD) VMware VCP 2, 3, 4 VMware VCAP-DCA4
0 Kudos
daogiang
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

I have experienced same performance with windows view client (i also tested it with atrust w100 zero client which have tera 2 chipset). I want to smooth video and scrolling website , I have tried many optimizations and tuning but same thing happened.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

That's a lot of CPU dedicated to one VM.   Are you hitting any scheduling issues with the 12 vCPU?   Do you see any difference in performance if you drop it from 12 to 2 vCPU?  

0 Kudos
daogiang
Contributor
Contributor

I allocated 2 vCPUS before increasing to 12. The performance is similar (improve a little, but still choppy in full screen mode). Because i am testing so i try to do eveything (increase resourses for each VM, Tuning windows, PCoIP parametter ) to check if I can actually watch Video with PcoIP over WAN. (my customers, they want to do office work and entertainment with VDI...hard things to do Smiley Sad )

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Could you post your PCoIP settings?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
ericblc2
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung NS 190 is Tera1 if I am not mistaken ... I doubt you will ever get non-choppy full screen video with a Tera 1 connecting to VDI VM.  Tera 2 helps.

While using Vmware View 5.x and zero clients I have never seen full screen video look anything close what we are used to on a physical PC. Small video maybe... not full screen. Tera2 gets you closer (and to get you there it will use a huge amount of bandwidth)... but still not good enough.

0 Kudos
daogiang
Contributor
Contributor

My PCoIP parematers are configured:

Maximum frame rate : 24

maxinmum image quality: 80%

Minimum image quality: 40%

Enable build to lossless : Disable

I also did tuning of windows 7 such as: disable amination, remove some unnecessary features...

0 Kudos
daogiang
Contributor
Contributor

ericblc: you are right, but what is the main reason here, cause of protocol(PCoIP), end device or network (WAN)

0 Kudos