VMware Horizon Community
scnguye2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Backup VMWare View Linked-Clone Virtual Desktop

Hello all,

I would like to know what is the best method to backup the linked-clone virtual desktop on VMWare View. At the moment, I am using the latest version of vRanger Pro with VCB intergration.

I am not sure if I should backup the linked-clone itself or the parent VM. What about the parent snapshot?

Please advice. Thanks.

Sang

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

well in a none persistent pool would it really matter as there is no guarantee that they would ever get the same desktop back again. If you have a properly configured user environment then persistence or none persistence would not matter as the data would be stored in a location that would be subject to a backup regime. I cannot understand the need to backup a VDI guest. just back up the Guest templates, View servers and vCenter server. Guest no way. backup windows are long enough already with out starting to back up throw away devices.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "VMware Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment".

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi there,

what is the reason for this backup? When you are using Linked clones with refresh/recompose it will always delete your desktop .... the data is stored in the user data disk ... this is what should be backuped.

Thanks,

Christoph

Blog: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/dommermuth

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi there,

what is the reason for this backup? When you are using Linked clones with refresh/recompose it will always delete your desktop .... the data is stored in the user data disk ... this is what should be backuped.

Thanks,

Christoph

Blog: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/dommermuth

The scenario above works great for a persistent pool in which the user data disk is seperate from the OS but doesn't seem applicable for a non-persistent pool in which you have the OS and user data on one disk. What happens when you refresh or compose in that situation?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Why do you need to back up a Desktop??? you would back up a physical desktop. if you have created the templates and configured the users correctly a VDI guest is as throw away as a phyiscal one.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Contributing author for the upcoming book "VMware Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment”.

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

well in a none persistent pool would it really matter as there is no guarantee that they would ever get the same desktop back again. If you have a properly configured user environment then persistence or none persistence would not matter as the data would be stored in a location that would be subject to a backup regime. I cannot understand the need to backup a VDI guest. just back up the Guest templates, View servers and vCenter server. Guest no way. backup windows are long enough already with out starting to back up throw away devices.

Contributing author for the upcoming book "VMware Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment".

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think the key word in that statement is IF. I know a throw away solution was one of our main points in going to a VDI type environment but for companies that haven't made already made the move to a roaming profile/folder redirection type scenario it can be a daunting task. Not to mention the option of persistent desktop pools where the desktop is permanently assigned to the user could easily lead to data living on the VM.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
scnguye2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a customer who is planning to deploy VMWare View. They want to backup every single virtual desktop they create. They will be using the automated persistent-pool. My question is, if I deploy linked-clone, what should I backup, the linked-clone's source and replica, or parent vm.

I guess I should just perform file level backup to preserve user data, instead of a full image backup of the virtual desktop. I don't think vRanger Pro is capable of just regular file level backup, so I will need something like TSM or NetBackup. Is that correct?

Also, how should I go about backing up the user profile drive, if I choose the option to keep it on a separate drive, during the virtual desktop pool deployment?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would do a lot of testing first but my thoughts are you should only have to backup the parent VM and the User data disk. I would definitely look at keeping it on a seperate drive as earlier in the thread it was mentioned that a refresh/recompose would reset the system disk to the newly updated parent thus killing all user data that would be stored there.

As far as backup solutions I'm not sure what you would use. You could possibly script something for the user data to avoid having to purchase agent software for all the machines. The better solution would be develop a roaming profile/folder redirection type solution that stores everything on the network thus eliminating any need for backups. This is the path Tom was going down earlier in the thread.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You should in theory be able to back up the master disk and the user data disks, however I have not personally tried this, As I have managed to puch my clients away from the concept of backing up Desktop machines and designing a user environent that precludes the ability to store personal data on a Guest machine, by coupling Application virtualisaiton in to the deployments I have managed develop a way of having persistence without requireing persistent pools of desktops. you are their IT expert help to educate them, explain how much extra time in the backup window 800 desktop will take, will they be able to do this in a night. etc. do a POC on roaming profiles in a Virtualised environment, it may be that they last tried it coupled with TS or Citrx with Silos and got hit by the last save wins issue. or perhaps they ended up with Roaming profiles so large their loging times were unacceptable because they did not have a adequate folder redirection policy.

Remember just because the customer asks for it does not mean you should give it to them, part of your role is to offer advise.

Contributing author for the upcoming book "VMware Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment”.

0 Kudos