VMware Horizon Community
awelker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Backup LinkClone master image

I am looking at writing a script to backup the base images and snapshots i use for my linked clones. Since the vm's are powered down 99% of the time, can i just tar up the contects of the directores and call it good? If so, how would i reimport them after a system failure?

I am using ghettovcb.sh to backup the management vm's, anything else that needs to be backed up?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

In theory, that should be sufficient and I'm assuming we're referring to the gold master image and not the replica's that are created when deploying a Linked Clone pool? I generally don't recommend backing up VMs snapshots and if you do have a VM with existing snapshot such as our gold master in which the replica is cloned from, then ghettoVCB will not work as it does not support backups with existing snapshots. You would need to consolidate before you can use that script, having said that..nothing would stop you from just backing up the offline VM with all its snapshots or even volume backup and then just re-registering this VM and all its snapshots files should be valid. I've never really done this where snapshots are backed up but you would probably want to try it before committing to this.

I would recommend you consulting VMware View support for best practices on backing up your gold master, but I imagine they would like you to either collapse the snapshot tree OR clone out a new VM for each of the snapshot levels and back those individual VMs up. I don't believe there is an official way to backup a VM preserving the snapshot tree as it'll consolidate with whatever level its currently at.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Comuunity

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos