VMware Horizon Community
julian2
Contributor
Contributor

Backing up VMware View Desktops

Hi,

We have a mix of single desktops and linked clone pools. For our vSphere servers and the single desktops we use Veeam Backup, and this works really well. However the linked clones are causing us a problem.

How are people currently backing up linked clone desktops? What about persistant / persona disks for the clones? I would assume that the minimum that should be backed up so that you can recreate the pool would be the parent VM and all the persona disks. Am I correct?

Thanks!

Julian.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

we use roaming profile and that we only backup the profile server .. i'm keen to know how the persona disk can be backup too ..

0 Kudos
AlexMags
Contributor
Contributor

I turn off persistent disks and instead use Windows folder redirection to redirect My Docs and Favourites to user's homeshare. Then redirect my desktop to a read only local folder (to prevent users using desktop as a file store).  So no need for persistent disks.  For application settings, all apps are packaged to install with correct config and apply config to user profile if required. So user can logon to a 'clean' VM and their apps are fully configured and their data is already on the network. We recompose the VM pools each month (powershell script) with an updated reference machine images (one for 32bit, one for 64bit) with this months Microsoft, Adobe etc updates. The images contain just the common apps (Office, Adobe Reader) and business apps are layered on top depending on pool.

0 Kudos