VMware Horizon Community
KevinAshley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Background and Logo parameters passed to the View Client 1.4 for View 5 for Linux

With the View 4.6 client, I was able to use a custom background and logo graphic used by the client by passing --background=/writable/misc/background.jpg  --logo=/writable/misc/logo.jpg to the client when the session was launched. This doesn't appear to work with the new client using the same command line and graphic files.

The dimensions for the background jpg are 1280x1024 and for the logo jpg are 482x62.

Not sure if it matters, but I am running on a HP t5746 running HPs ThinPro 4 (Ubuntu based).

Is anyone else sucsessfully defining a custom a background and logo graphic for the client to use?

If so, can you give some details? I am thinking it is either file type or the dimensions of the graphics or maybe those options were left out of the new version even though passing --help to the client still shows them.

Tags (6)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I spoke with the main developers for the Linux client and he confirmed that the options were carried over but not implemented.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  I will look into whether we should remove the options for our next release or implement the functionality.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Was that with PCoIP or RDP? I don't think it will work with PCoIP but maybe RDP.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
KevinAshley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The display protocol is not relevant at this point. This is all on the local client before even authenticating.

There is one, larger, dialog shown while connecting to the connection server and then a login prompt to authenticate to the connection server is displayed on top of the first one. The bigger one has the File, Desktop and Help menus across the top and says "VMware View (tm) Client". The smaller dialog has the title of "Connect to Server" and displays a padlock, the name of the connection server, user/password/domain fileds and a PCoIP logo in the botom left.

The --fullscreen option makes the first dialog go full screen, but the defualt VMware graphic is shown instead of my custom image.

The view 4.6 client did have the first dialog described, just the second (login dialog), When the client was launched with --fullscreen the entire screen was taken up with the custom background image and the login dialog centered on top of it with my custom logo displayed above the user name and password prompts.

I can provide screenshots if it would help...

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Aha, missunderstood the issue. Have not noticed the change between 4.6 and 1.4 but I'll ping the client developers and ask them to chime in here.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Honestly I'm kind of surprised that we shipped clients that did this.  We explored doing this in past releases but it turns out VMware has some branding guidelines that were not easy to implement.  We are looking at doing this in future releases but I can't comment much further.

0 Kudos
KevinAshley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Was the removeal of this feature docuemented anywhere that I can refer my management to? The command line help still shows these as valid parameters.

0 Kudos
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yeah, you're right.  I will check with the Linux developers and see what's going on.

0 Kudos
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I spoke with the main developers for the Linux client and he confirmed that the options were carried over but not implemented.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  I will look into whether we should remove the options for our next release or implement the functionality.

0 Kudos
KevinAshley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

At least now I can quit trying to figure out why it isn't working...

Thanks for the info.

0 Kudos