VMware Horizon Community
manicjester
Contributor
Contributor

Automation of individual desktops and entitlements

I've automated the virtual machine and active directory user account creation using vbscripts, and now I'm trying to automate the View specific tasks of creating an individual desktop using the virtual machine that was created and entitling it to the user account that was created. Does anyone have any knowledge on how to do this?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
jklimczak1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You Most Likely be able to do this when view becomes more api driven like vsphere

0 Kudos
peter_rudolf
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ,

Yes, i have done this in a Customerprojekt. Build a Custome VM, Start the VM, Create the VM individual desktop in the View Connection Manager, Create entitling for that VM.

So we have a ZERO Administrationprocess for Build and Run the virtual Desktops ... Smiley Wink

It was a pretty Project. Build Scripts are in Powershell, GUI are in VB.NET.

Greetings from Germany

Peter

manicjester
Contributor
Contributor

Peter,

This sounds very interesting. Can you describe how you do the VDI specific tasks of provisioning an individual desktop and entitling it? I am currently using a vbscript to collect customer information and use that to kick off a powershell script that creates the VM and powers it on, and when the VM finishes all of its customization scripts another powershell script assigns it to the correct network. I simply cannot find a way to do the VDI specific tasks. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
jellev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi manicejester,

i researched this myself because it seemed very interesting that all the actions to create desktop pools and entitle users to gain access could be automated.

it sure is possible to do this because vmware view is using ADAM a active directory variant to do the entire configuration. So with the right tools and scripts you should edit the entries in ADAM and vmware view will do the rest. But i think in the future there will be other ways provided by vmware.

greetz

admin
Immortal
Immortal

And it works very well Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
peter_rudolf
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

First off all. There is no API availble... You must do anything your Own with no Support from VMware.

You can see all Object in the Connection Broker with the ADSIEdit Tool. Look at Server, Server Group and Applications for Looking or Creating Desktopspools and Desktops.

all Users for Entitlements you will find in ForeignSecurityPrincipals.

When you will Script or Programm anything look to any Libaray that will support LDAP....

I hope that will help

peter

0 Kudos
manicjester
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot Peter. You've been more than helpful. This answers my question.

0 Kudos
peter_rudolf
Contributor
Contributor

When you have Problems or Question....

I am sure i can help....

my Email is: peter.rudolf(at)mightycare.de ....

Peter

0 Kudos