VMware Horizon Community
heIIvis
Contributor
Contributor

Automatic desktop pool selection

Maybe someone can figure how to achieve this :

We have a couple of desktop pool available from some connections servers. For example, connection server A have 3 desktop pools, A1, A2 and A3. For some reasons, we don't want that all the users that are connecting to the CS A, can see the 3 pools. I'm looking for a way to specify to the view client to launch automatically one of the 3 pools, on some stations.. I can't find any options in the client launch switches to do this...

Any idea?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

If I'm not mistaken you can utilize a GPO to set an automatic desktop pool selection, there is also the autoconnect to this desktop option you get after you've logged in initially, and finally there are command line switches you can add to pick a certain desktop. 

heIIvis
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not looking to always connect to the same desktop, but bypass the pool selection and after it connect to any free desktop, of a fixed desktop, dependly of the pool setting...

I've try the switches like -desktopname, but it dosen't work with the pool name or a desktop name either..

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

The desktop name command line switch and GPO option both utilize the Display Name of the pool.

0 Kudos
BZatWS
Contributor
Contributor

It is true that the -desktopname switch will automatically send a user to the specified pool.

Use a script to randomize the pool name and substitute it a variable in the View command line. 

If pools are named Pool1, Pool2 etc you can generate a random number between 1 and n

--  append the number to Pool to create Pooln

-- substitute Pooln as a variable in the View command line.  ex: wswc.exe -desktopname "Pooln"

I am a terrible script writer so I needed help with the mechanics of generating the number and substituting the variable but the concept is pretty straightforward.

The hardest part is getting users to click on the script instead of the View Client icon.  In our environment we lock down the desktops so only the script runs at startup and users only see View Client and enter credentials once.  In your environment maybe you can substitute your script for the executable in the View shortcut if locking down physical desktop is not appropriate.

0 Kudos