VMware Horizon Community
BrianPitt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Automated Pool Naming Scheme Question

is there a way when setting up an Automated Full Desktop Pool, when doing the naming scheme, to start at a number other than 1?

For example, I'd like to start my pool at DEPT-W10-V4 due to V1 - V3 being used already for some testing and still in use.  I'd like to keep the naming convention the same as the other VMs in our system which is always DEPT-W10-V#.  I know I could do DEPT-W10-V01 but that will get confusing with the already existing V1, so dont wanna go that route.

I dont know if this is possible, but wanted to ask before I spin up this pool and have to find some scheme to match the rest.....

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RoderikdeBlock
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As far as I know this isn't possible. According to the documentation these are your options:

You can place the automatically generated number anywhere else in the name by using a token. When you type the pool name, type n surrounded by curly brackets to designate the token.

For example: amber-{n}-desktop

When a machine is created, Horizon 7 replaces {n} with a unique number.

You can generate a fixed-length token by typing {n:fixed=number of digits}.

Horizon 7 replaces the token with numbers containing the specified number of digits.

For example, if you type amber-{n:fixed=3}, Horizon 7 replaces {n:fixed=3} with a three-digit number and creates these machine names: amber-001, amber-002, amber-003, and so on.

Length of the Naming Pattern When You Use a Fixed-Length Token

Names that contain fixed-length tokens have a 15-character limit, including your naming pattern and the number of digits in the token.

Roderik de Block

Blog: https://roderikdeblock.com

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RoderikdeBlock
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As far as I know this isn't possible. According to the documentation these are your options:

You can place the automatically generated number anywhere else in the name by using a token. When you type the pool name, type n surrounded by curly brackets to designate the token.

For example: amber-{n}-desktop

When a machine is created, Horizon 7 replaces {n} with a unique number.

You can generate a fixed-length token by typing {n:fixed=number of digits}.

Horizon 7 replaces the token with numbers containing the specified number of digits.

For example, if you type amber-{n:fixed=3}, Horizon 7 replaces {n:fixed=3} with a three-digit number and creates these machine names: amber-001, amber-002, amber-003, and so on.

Length of the Naming Pattern When You Use a Fixed-Length Token

Names that contain fixed-length tokens have a 15-character limit, including your naming pattern and the number of digits in the token.

Roderik de Block

Blog: https://roderikdeblock.com
BrianPitt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yeah, that was my thought that it wasnt possible as well...VMWare should add that option

0 Kudos