VMware Horizon Community
RogerSween
Contributor
Contributor

Automated Dedicated Virtual Linked Clones. Administrator account used for QuickPrep does not have sufficient Permissions?

I have a VMView 5 and I'm trying to setup 2 virtual linked clones. The way our environment works is that an account can't create or delete a computer in the domain in the computers ou. The machines have to be created ahead of time in a different OU, Then when we  use our admin accounts to add them to the domain.

With my pool, for naming I simply used vm-{n}-2 (a vm starting with the number 1, pool 2) so it will end up looking like vm-1-2

This computer account has been created in an OU already (but not computers)

I dont use QuickPrep, I use sysprep as we have a pair of SLMGR commands in there to add it to our KMS server. But during provisioning, you get the error Provisioning error (missing) and "QuickPrep does not have sufficient Permissions"

Any advice as to what I may be doing wrong or how to fix this problem?

Work arounds too?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

In the setup wizard you need to choose "Sysprep" and not "Quickprep"

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
RogerSween
Contributor
Contributor

I did, thats the weird thing, and it keeps trying to use QuickPrep.

I read Page 14 of http://www.vmware.com/pdf/view45_admin_guide.pdf even though I am using 5

I think my account needs to be more like this...

2 Add the Create Computer Objects, Delete Computer Objects, and Write All Properties permissions to
the account in the Active Directory container in which the linked-clone computer accounts are created or
to which the linked-clone computer accounts are moved.
The following list shows all the required permissions for the user account, including permissions that are
assigned by default:
n List Contents
n Read All Properties
n Write All Properties
n Read Permissions
n Create Computer Objects
n Delete Computer Objects
3 Make sure that the user account's permissions apply to the Active Directory container and to all child
objects of the container.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I remember a thread from awhile back where someone stated that even when you select sysprep that VIew uses the quick prep credentials to attempt to join the desktop do the domain.    So if that's true and you do have sysprep selected than whatever account is setup in quickprep would still need that kind of permissions.

Should be easy enough to test, right? 

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

So in the current version its not supported with "pre-created" computer account, maybe this is why it fails.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos