VMware Horizon Community
hmartin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Autologon with Wyse V10L and non-persistent pooled desktops

We have a working environment with VMware View 3.0 and Wyse V10L thin clients (v6.2x). Manual logon to to View Connection Server and pass-through authentication to the Win XP SP2 VM works perfectly. However, these thin clients will replace full-blown PCs that are used as kiosks, so they need to be able to autologon to desktops that are part of a non-persistent pool. Any ideas how best to set this up? Thanks.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
randyf25
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can accomplish this using the wnos.ini file. There are multiple methods of doing this and the documentation may not be the easiest to decipher.

You can assign a .ini file by the MAC address of the Wyse client. When it accesses the FTP server it will seek it's .ini file and inside there you can assign the auto username and password fields.

We have opted to simply create a secondary FTP location. Our automatic login clients hit a different path. It's not ideal but we needed a short order situation and I did not have time to work through Wyse's documentation.

You will see the options in the Wyse Administrator's Guide for wnos.ini files. You can assign username, password, and domain and auto sign-in.

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

...this may be helpful

hmartin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses. Thanks to some great support from Wyse, we were able to get everything working. Part of the problem was knowing which .ini file (FTP server or View server) to put some of the commands. Once this was corrected, all was good. I've attached the relevant commands that we ended up with. The only remaining issue is trying to block the use of Ctrl-Alt-Delete after logon so that kiosk users can't get out of the VM. The kiosk software that we're using on PCs now does this through the use of their own gina .dll. However, since we're doing pass-through authentication, we have to use the VMware View Agent's gina .dll, which causes us to lose the ability to block Ctrl-Alt-Del. I'm opening a separate thread to see if anyone has any thoughts on how to deal with this. I know we can skip the VDM config on the Wyse terminals and set up direct thin client - to - VM mapping via the .mac.ini, I hate to lose the elegance of the whole pooled desktop functionality of View. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
strachank
Contributor
Contributor

Hi folks,

I have had similar startup issues to hmartin, basically ended up with a very similar result after comparing our sets of wnos files. I am using Wyse S10 devices, which have the new 6.3.0 build 12 ThiN OS - similar to the V10. I am also doing an auto-logon situation with a specific username and password, with a variant.

I am passing a "dumb" AD username and pwd to VDM via the ftp wnos.ini, which then contacts the VDM (VMware View 3.0) backend and gets another wnos.ini with a %username%.ini include. in the %username%.ini i am telling the terminal to execute an RDP session to the virtual guest as a different AD user.

This works quite well, and was a headache to get the right settings in the right files to make the right thing happen.

My problem is that after approximately 150minutes, my client is severed from the VDM backend & guest. I have a similar situation in that these too are kiosk machines, but are stateless, no user interaction - EVER! Smiley Wink It's not an RDP connection issue, that actually remains connected. If the keyboard or mouse is interacted with during that period, the "timer" is reset and will drop after 150mins.

Within the wnos.ini files and the %username%.ini i have disabled any session disconnects, turned on all the reconnect and autoconnect options you can find in the wyse admin guide... no reconnection occurs.

Any ideas, pointers etc would be muchly appreciated.

0 Kudos
tvdh
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

i have the same problem that the connection drops after 150minutes. if you have found something please let me know i will do it also.

regards

Tony

0 Kudos
strachank
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Tony,

Can you give me an idea of how your configuration looks, and what firmware are you using in your environment.

I have been consulting with Wyse at the moment, and they have offered a few suggestions, which i am in the process of trying, but i'd like an idea of what you have done and your config to end up with the same result as i have.

thanks

Keith

0 Kudos
tvdh
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

For the moment I’m using firmware 6.2.0_08 on my wyse V10L

I'm using a wnos.ini file on my vdmbroker with standard entries and that's it

On my vmdbroker time out is set to 999999 and for the rest is everything disabled what could cause disconnection (no screensaver, no standby after,.....)

Regards

Tony

0 Kudos
strachank
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Again Tony,

So are you doing a auto-logon or are you manually logging onto your domain ?

Thanks

Keith

0 Kudos
tvdh
Contributor
Contributor

For the moment manually but I'm looking now for automatic. So creating user.ini files

Regards

Tony

0 Kudos
Dave_O
Contributor
Contributor

What is the path to the wnos.ini file on the broker? I thought that using the Connectionbroker=vdm forced the broker to use an xml file or am I totally wrong. I am using WNOS 6.3

0 Kudos