VMware Horizon Community
Bufordx10
Contributor
Contributor

Autodesk Revit on Instant Clone

Is anyone currently doing this if so how?

We are currently using 2209 at the moment with all of our Autodesk applications installed on the Gold Image. We are using DEM, UIA-Only Writables, and App Volumes. We were previously running on a Manual Desktop Pool (Persistent) because of other issues prior. I'm now trying to move users to Instant Clones and thought I had it mostly nailed down but now I'm seeing some of the Revit Cloud Projects filling up DEM and slowing logins. Would I be better off removing DEM and switching to a UIA + Profile or using DEM and using Symbolic Links to avoid the issue? We have not used UIA+Profile before so not too sure if there are any caveats to using it.

The current issue is Revit has a Collaboration Cache and PacCache both in the user AppData Local increasing their UEM data which impacts logon. There is also a discrepency between the size reported in the Help Desk Tool and actual size on Disk one users shows 4.2 GB in the tool and 36 GB on disk. My options are as I see it switching to UIA+Profile Writable or creating Symbolic Links to move that data to the UIA-only Writable. They already have the UIA-Only writable for their Revit Local cache as Revit allows you to change that location but I have yet to test the Symbolic links which it appears others have done just not sure about how it'll work with DEM and Writable yet with the Symbolic link. As the others were on Physical machines moving to another physical drive.

Or is there a better way?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, we have a similar config. We are using Revit versions 2019 to 2023 along with other AutoDesk apps like AutoCAd and 3DS Max. We also have Adobe apps. We are using a 500GB GI to hold all the apps. Revit takes a lot of space to hold the cache, so I don't think DEM only will suit for this. 

We are using Microsoft FSLogix as a solution to hold user data and Revit works without any issues. In short, here is the config:

Horizon 2206 with instant clones

FSLogix + UEM + App Volumes UIA only Writables 

OneDrive to redirect Documents, Pictures and Videos, Redirected folders are configured via DEM to redirect Downloads

We have 99% of the apps on GI and allow users to install 1-2 of their desired apps to the Writable. I would recommend minimal use of App Volumes as it's still buggy. Also we use DEM only for user settings like shortcuts, registry settings, elevated apps etc.

Hope this helps.  

-- If you find this reply helpful, please consider accepting it as a solution.
boulderej
Contributor
Contributor

We are in the process of migrating from our current persistent Vmware VDI environment to non-persistent instant clones and are an Architectural firm using the same apps as described here. Did you implement this solution internally or did you work with a consultant to implement. I'm looking for a consultant that has experience to implement instant clones in our industry. 

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We did it all ourselves, instant clones and FSLogix are pretty straightforward to setup, with plenty of documentation available. 

0 Kudos
boulderej
Contributor
Contributor

Are you using FXLogix and DEM. Are your user's utilizing AutoDesk ACC or BIM 360, if so how are you handling the ACC caches in the user's profile? I believe that there is a 30gb max profile in FLogix?

Thanks

0 Kudos
JSparks-ETS
Contributor
Contributor

@boulderej - You can change the max size of the profile disk within Group Policy. DM me if you want to discuss this more...we are a MSP that has a specialty in setting up Horizon VDI environments for AEC firms. We might be able to help you out here.

0 Kudos
Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, we are using BIM360. The 30GB is the default profile size in FSLogix, but we can have a bigger size. E. g. we are using 500GB profiles.

0 Kudos