VMware Horizon Community
gcurry123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Autoconnect to Computer pool (all users)

Hello

I work for a school and we have just started our View 4 roll out, everything was going fine except for one thing. I need the clients (HP t5740 Thin Client running Windows Embedded Standard WES) to always connect to the correct desktop pools. I want the career services clients to connect automatically to career services pool and the library machines to connect to the Library pool .. and so on.

I know I can click on "always connect to the desktop" on the client, but this only works on a per user basis. I have also read that you can make changes via the registry but I have not found any setting that will do what I want.

Any help anyone could off would be very much appreciated. I want this roll out to go as smoothly as possible.

Thank you.

Graeme

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Great! Happy to help.

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can set autoconnect on commandline or with GPO:s, but that will mean that the user does not have to authenticate. Is that how you would like it?

If not, please describe in detail how you would like it to work when the user connects, step-by-step.

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
gcurry123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank s for the reply.

No that is not really how I would like it to work.

Basically I want the View client to be as transparent as possible to our students, I just want them to enter there username and password and be taken to the desktop. My fear is that if they are asked to select a desktop pool to connect to then they are going to be confused or select the wrong one.

So I want the client to always connect to the same pool no matter who logs in to the machine, and for the user to receive no additional prompts just as if they were logging in to a regular XP workstation.

Do that make it clearer?

My hope is that there is some sort of config file I can just edit to make the client automatically connect to the correct pool.

Thanks

Graeme

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Ok, I get it. There is a few different ways to accomplish that. One would be with GPO:s but then they could always choose to go the other pool once they have connected to the first one. You can prevent that by using tag based entitlement.

Another way is to do the autologin as I described in my first post but remove the SSO component, that way the user would have to enter his/her credentials in the Windows Login box instead of in the View Client.

Best regards,

Linjo

0 Kudos
gcurry123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok great, how do I set up a autologin on the client? Is there a white paper or somthing you could point me to, I just need somwhere to start?

Also this probably is a stupid question but how do you get group policy to apply to a view client? I assume that what you meen by GPO's

Thanks

Graeme

0 Kudos
gcurry123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I must have totally missed the GPO section in the Admin guide. I had no idea there were all these GPO templates available.

Instead of adding it to out DC I just added the Client template to the thin client local group policy and told it the default pool to connect to.

Works like a charm.

Thanks

Graeme

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Great! Happy to help.

Best regards,

Linjo

0 Kudos
chupanibre
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi,

would you care to elaborate?

i couldn't find the default pool setting in the client gpo template, and connecting to a specific machine in the pool (via desktopName) does not work either.

thanks.

0 Kudos
chupanibre
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ah. got it!

desktopName means Poolname!

works like a charm, the naming is a bit confusing though.

0 Kudos