VMware Horizon Community
Spense2r
Contributor
Contributor

AutoCAD with 3D scanning software

Hello.
I need to install AutoCAD (well known 2d modeling software) and Artec Studio (3D scanning software with these system requirements)
Should I test the performance of 3D software and ACAD in an ESXi VM or VM Fusion? Maybe someone has done such tests before? I saw a fairly old post about having performance issues when trying 3D modeling in an ESXi VM environment. 3D scanning software is not a full-fledged 3D modeling program after all, so I'm not sure I should go for VM Fusion. Any thoughts, please?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

the choice depends on various factors first of all it depends on which HW the ESXi host runs on.
From personal experience to use tools such as Solidworks or AutoCAD (and similar components), you must have NVIDIA A10 or A40 video cards and the VMs must run on datastores located on volumes with high-performance disks, with all the necessary licenses.

Then it also depends on whether you need only one VM that uses Autocad and connected components or multiple VMs.

For just one VM it might be right to use Fusion (obviously you miss out on all the benefits of vSphere infrastructure

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos