VMware Horizon Community
JimmyOOOOO
Contributor
Contributor

Auto-Logoff for inactivity

I'm in the midst of a View demo/assessment, and management is asking the there is a feature that disconnects/logs off due to inactivity "like Terminal Server".

I've done some googling and digging around whatepapers to no avail. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

"Sooo... you wanna be a Network Administrator, huh?!"
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Melshaw
Contributor
Contributor

You can set desktops to auto log off after a session disconnect. You can also set session timeouts.

0 Kudos
JimmyOOOOO
Contributor
Contributor

I have a user that is saying they are being disconnected by the session timeout, even though they have activity within the specified time period.

The " auto log off after a session disconnect" is not what she's talking about, hence the "like terminal server" reference.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

the global session timeout is set to 600 minutes (10 hours). This may be what your user is seeing. I would suggest changing it to something else. Ours is set to 43,200 minutes (30 days)

0 Kudos
Melshaw
Contributor
Contributor

On your View admin page:

Configuration>Global Settings

Session timeouts can be set here

0 Kudos
JimmyOOOOO
Contributor
Contributor

Shouldn't that session timeout be superceded by user activity? I spoke with a colleague at another company who uses View, and he said his global timeout is set to 720 but active users never get disconnected by it.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

the session timeout starts when a user authenticates into View. On a typical workday the 600 minutes may not be enough if the user never logs off their vPC. If a user logs off their vPC and back in again through View, that session timeout starts over.

I don't know of a way to override that setting via a pool or individual desktop.

JimmyOOOOO
Contributor
Contributor

Troy,

You answered half my question (and here's your points), however, I'm still looking for an answer on the inactivity piece. I guess I could always use 'winexit', but I was hoping to find that functionality whithin View itself.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

> You answered half my question

He did answer your question. He is saying that if the session is not actually logged off, its counted as one continuous session, therefore if it doesn't detect any type of disconnect the counter goes until it reaches the limit of 10 hours.

You would have to log off (meaning actually close The entire client not JUST the console for the VM) and log back on as a NEW session for the timer to reset.

So the inactivity is for the client session not the VM itself.

0 Kudos
JimmyOOOOO
Contributor
Contributor

I understand how the session timeout in global settings works... what I am asking is if there is functionality "like terminal server" where a user is logged off or disconnected for inactivity, SEPERATE from the session timeout.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

You will need to use a GPO to get that kind of functionality.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

not that I am aware of. The View brokers will keep track of active sessions, but I don't know of a way for View to keep up on idle sessions per user. If a user is idle then it's less resources on your ESX Hosts anyway. Just disable any screensavers, and it shouldn't really matter how many active connections are made.

0 Kudos
JimmyOOOOO
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for all the feedback everybody.

0 Kudos