VMware Horizon Community
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Auto Deploy optimized image with MDT and OSOT issues

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully been able to use MDT auto deploy with OSOT to generate optimized images automatically?

I followed this excellent document here: https://techzone.vmware.com/using-automation-create-optimized-windows-images-vmware-horizon-vms to create the MDT set up.

I've worked out most of the kinks so far. PXE boot works, Windows deploys and configures, but it keeps failing at the Optimize step and I'm stumped. Logs have very little detail and the error messages I do have are pretty generic. 

I'm just not sure who to address this to to get some assistance. My goal is to be able to quickly deploy a new image for use as an instant clone gold image with updates and default apps installed and have it optimized as part of the update process.

Anyone who has any ideas on this I'd be grateful for assistance.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Posting this question in the OSOT flings page could be helpful.

https://flings.vmware.com/vmware-os-optimization-tool/comments

-- If you find this reply helpful, please consider accepting it as a solution.
0 Kudos
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, I'm familiar with the OSOT flings page. Their commenting system isn't the best of this type of troubleshooting. Was hopeful another community member had tried this automation and might offer some suggestions.

0 Kudos
ggordon
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would check to make sure that Windows security is not preventing the executables running.

• Open the file properties of VMwareHorizonOSOptimizationTool-x86_64-2107.exe and check to see if there is an Unblock option. If there is, select it and apply to make sure that this executable is allowed to run.
  • If you copied in SDelete64.exe and LGPO.exe for the Finalize task, unblock these executables.
0 Kudos
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, those are documented in the article. I've double checked them all. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ggordon
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

And you copied the files to the MDT Deployment share and the share has permissions set so that they can be read?

0 Kudos
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The deployment share is set to full control for everyone.

The files exist under the deployment share in the VMware folder, where I went to the properties of each executable and made sure to choose to unblock them.

I posted on the fling and Hilko suggested I email him. Going to follow up with him. I appreciate your time and suggestions.

0 Kudos