VMware Horizon Community
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

August Windows Update: Adds 25 seconds to login

So I recently rolled out the August Windows Update to a few our our images, and noticed that the TASKBAR delays 25 seconds before loading the icons.

I see the Taskbar (empty), and I see a Symantec Icon in the taskbar by the clock...wait 25 seconds and everything continues to load.  At first I thought it was antivirus, but the delay continues with it removed.  I've spent hours trying to troubleshoot this.  Removing the August Windows update is the only was to solve it.

Windows 10, 1809

- 2020-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1809 (KB4565349)

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

So I finally figured this out, and wanted to share my findings in case anyone else runs across this same issue.

This was NOT (Directly) the August Windows Updates that caused the problem...but it played a part.

This was the case of overzealous tweaking, to get that perfectly tuned desktop. I had, like many of you, gathered various Tweak utilities over the years that I use to streamline my Golden Images.

One in particular, from thewindowsclub.com, had an option to check a box and "Disable the Lockscreen".   I'd been using this for many months without any issues.

disable lockscreen.jpg

But what does this actually do?!  

nolockscreen.jpg

It renames a folder in your c:\Windows\SystemApps so that the LockScreen App no longer works.

Well this August, as part of the Windows updates, that LockApp was updated.  Two files were updated.  So the update recreated the folder and dropped in the two new files...the problem was that all of the other supporting files were missing.  They were in the older renamed folder.   Now I'm not real sure why the Taskbar was delayed 25 seconds upon logging in because of the renamed LockApp folder...but that's exactly what happened.  After renaming the folder back, everything was fast again.

I'm sharing my mistakes in order to remind everyone to not use utilities without understanding what they are actually doing under the covers.  It may haunt you later. I wasted a few days of troubleshooting this issue!

Happy Tweaking everyone!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

Considering this is a Microsoft update, you should open a post in the Microsoft community.

Cumulative updates - August 11th 2020 - Microsoft Community

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

On a physicial PC, it only happens on the initial login to your new profile.

Once there is a profile, there is no issue.  Only non-persistent PCs will experience the delay...so I'd be wasting my time posting in the Microsoft forum.

I'm just trying to determine if anyone else is experiencing this issue with the August Windows Update.  If others are, it makes my case easier to battle with Microsoft Support.

0 Kudos
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

So I finally figured this out, and wanted to share my findings in case anyone else runs across this same issue.

This was NOT (Directly) the August Windows Updates that caused the problem...but it played a part.

This was the case of overzealous tweaking, to get that perfectly tuned desktop. I had, like many of you, gathered various Tweak utilities over the years that I use to streamline my Golden Images.

One in particular, from thewindowsclub.com, had an option to check a box and "Disable the Lockscreen".   I'd been using this for many months without any issues.

disable lockscreen.jpg

But what does this actually do?!  

nolockscreen.jpg

It renames a folder in your c:\Windows\SystemApps so that the LockScreen App no longer works.

Well this August, as part of the Windows updates, that LockApp was updated.  Two files were updated.  So the update recreated the folder and dropped in the two new files...the problem was that all of the other supporting files were missing.  They were in the older renamed folder.   Now I'm not real sure why the Taskbar was delayed 25 seconds upon logging in because of the renamed LockApp folder...but that's exactly what happened.  After renaming the folder back, everything was fast again.

I'm sharing my mistakes in order to remind everyone to not use utilities without understanding what they are actually doing under the covers.  It may haunt you later. I wasted a few days of troubleshooting this issue!

Happy Tweaking everyone!