VMware Horizon Community
peetey100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Audit Mode Optimized windows image

hello

i am following the "create optimized windows 10 image for horizon virtual desktop"

Creating an Optimized Windows Image for a VMware Horizon Virtual Desktop | VMware

and step 11 says to enter Audit mode by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+F3 but I have no idea why I need to do this or if it is necessary? I will be using this image with linked clone pools with dedicated desktops?

I'm not sure i Need to follow every step in the Guide?

any help would be appreciated thanks

pete

0 Kudos
9 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Follow it exactly for the best outcome until you understand why not do what it says. It lets you skip alot of the things you need to answer and you don't end up creating an unneeded user. If you do the regular setup you have to create a user just to login. Personally I do that, and do a step they removed which updates the default profile based on the user that I created during setup .

0 Kudos
peetey100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks very much for your email, i would like to know what this step actually does? I still don't get why i need to run Microsoft sysprep?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

ITs a common imaging procedure, you would do it if your where deploying images to physical computers as well, and has nothing specifically to do with any vmware software directly.

it has to do with removing any specific ids from the build process so when the parent image gets cloned alot of the ids are unique.

0 Kudos
peetey100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks for your email.

I have created a few base images before wihtout using sysprep audit mode and they seemed fine..

What are the issues of not using sysprep audit  mode please?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

If you don't need it don't worry about it, I've done it without before like I said, and the benefits are things I've already mentioned. The guides are designed to help the most amount of people. Another resource is

Audit Mode Overview | Microsoft Docs

My opinion, why not follow a guide vmware provides exactly, unless you have a good reason not to? I'm not questions your need to answer question, thats a realization I made on my own, unless I see a real reason to change something I'm just following that guide exactly. It helps with troubleshooting especially when working with support.

peetey100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

also can i ask , when I finish running the vmware optimization tool it still restarts in sysperp audit mode and the sysprep box appears after each restart. is this normal? I though generalize and finalize would get rid of this?

thanks

0 Kudos
khanmy
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I have same issue after following step there are no clear instruction about the screen available inside this audit mode.

Enter Audit Mode by Pressing CTRL+SHIFT+F3

0 Kudos
lansti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi, I try to follow this instructions, but get a bit confused then I add Nvidia GPU on to my Golden Image. Then i'm not able to remote it...
Have any of you done this with GPU, and how are you able to update and patch the image with GPU and no local user created?

Best regards
Lansti
0 Kudos
mrkasius
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi lansti,

I suggest installing the NVIDIA driver after step 'Installing Virtual Desktop Agents and Applications in a vSphere-Based VM'. After that, you can access it remotely with RDP.

0 Kudos