VMware Horizon Community
bleslie
Contributor
Contributor

Assing View Desktop based in physical client MAC address, not user name.

I'm in a situation where we have many users, all sharing the same AD user name and logging in to physical computers at the same time (windows active directory domain). this for factory users doing data entry and printing

We are moving towards vmware view, and I'm running in to a problem where, when logging on to the vPC's, domain\user1 can only be logged in once, (logging in from another physical PC again logs the first person off) I have the vPCs set up as persistant desktops with a seperate user disk.

Is there any way to tie a vPC to the physical MAC address of the client computer, so when user1 sits down at physicalPC1 they always get vPC1 and when user1 sits down at physicalPC2 they get vPC2 etc, etc.

is there a vdmadmin switch to solve this? would non-persistant VMs work around this?

Thanks

Ben Leslie

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

currently you can only entitle an group or individual, not a computer object.

As a workaround, you may entitle to a generic user and disable the view gina. This way you will pass through the broker, but users will be prompted to sign into their vPC

0 Kudos
bleslie
Contributor
Contributor

wow thanks for the VERY quick response,

so "user1" would log on to the view client with a generic/dummy account, and with view gina disabled, it would prompt for user1's real credentials?

how do you disable the view gina? in windows registry?

Thanks again

Ben

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

yes, you got it.

You could disable the gina a couple ways. One would be to do a repair on the intstall and remove the gina, or you can remove it from the registry.

Using a generic account is a little tricky though, because by default the view client will use the current logged in user to pass through the broker. So, to make the generic account work, would require some scripting work.

0 Kudos