VMware Horizon Community
TheNuts
Contributor
Contributor

Applications resizing when reconnecting to View 6.0 desktop

We are running View 6.0.1 and ESX 5.5 U2.  Form my PC, which was a 1920x1080 resolution, I connect to a View Desktop and the View desktop (Windows 7 x64) comes in at 1920x1080 as well.  I then open an application like Outlook or IE and it opens in full screen.  I leave the application open and disconnect from the desktop.  When I reconnect to the same desktop, the application is still open but the application is resized and not full screen like below even though the desktop still reports 1920x1080 resolution.  Any idea why?

Capture1.JPG

I am using Floating Linked clones.  The Pool setting is 2 monitors at 1920x1080 resolution

0 Kudos
48 Replies
Hofkicks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It took me quite some time to upgrade and test this issue, but I did manage to take some time today for this particular issue.

I can confirm this issue still exists in View 6.1. The update itself didn't resolve the application resize issue. I tested it using Word 2010 and Excel 2010.

0 Kudos
SysteembeheerNS
Contributor
Contributor

Someone who fixed this problem ? or is view 6.1 the solution ?

0 Kudos
EricNichols
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I reported this long ago as well. Never got any help from VMware.

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/471818

0 Kudos
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

So... Any update on this issue?

0 Kudos
Hofkicks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Last e-mail I got from VMware regarding this issue:

It seems that our engineering team have been working on cases similar to yours and have advised that a fix may be available in the next release of Horizon View.

At the moment, the next release is scheduled for release in 'H2 2015 ' but at the moment there is no specific release date.

I know this issue is causing you some trouble and has been for quite some time now.
I hope this news is well received and you understand that the issue is being worked on by our team.

0 Kudos
Siva17
Contributor
Contributor

This is the work around I use to fix this problem.

Create a File named "ApplicationResizer.vbs" (without quotes)

Copy paste the content from below and save it. Ask the user to run this script every time they want to maximize all the windows. This supports 20 applications in the task bar. If you need more then assign intCount = XX in the script to the number user requires. XX is the number of applications count

VbScript

'****************************************************************************************

' Script Name: ApplicationResizer.vbs

'      Author: Siva Viswanathan

'        Date: 8 Jan 2016

' Description: VBScript for Windows Scripting Host. Cycles through any applications

'              visible in the Task Bar giving them focus for a set period. resize the

'              application and maximize it

'       Usage: Save file to Desktop and double click to run.

'*****************************************************************************************

Option Explicit

Dim wshShell

Dim intSleep

Dim intTimer

Dim intCount

Dim objShell

Set objShell = CreateObject("shell.application")

' Minimize All Windows

objShell.MinimizeAll

' Cascade All Windows

objShell.CascadeWindows

' Cycle every 100 Milliseconds / Loop intCount times

intSleep = 100: intCount = 20

Set wshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

' Loop intCount times

Do While intCount > 0

' Simulate the Alt+Esc keypress

' Simulate the Alt+Space+r keypress

' Simulate the Alt+Space+x keypress

wshShell.SendKeys "%+{Esc}"

wshShell.SendKeys "% r"

wshShell.SendKeys "% x"

Wscript.Sleep intSleep

intCount = intCount - 1

Loop

' Tidy up

Set objShell = Nothing

Set wshShell = Nothing

0 Kudos
TrespaTrespa
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

My organisation also faces the same problem.

We are using an HP T310 zero client and are connecting to a VDI with PCOIP.

Everytime we disconnect and reconnect the session most applications are resized.

We are testing with paint and almost everytime it will resize the paint application.

Because we have full screen applications running in production it is a real issue when people can get back to the desktop.

I tried all the previous solutions but nothing worked.

We have tried with 3 different screens and also a HP T520 client, but all face the same problem.

I know PCOIP will take over the console resolution but this is at 1920 x 1080, even the zero client has a hard configured resolution of 1920 x 1080.

Can someone confirm if clients with the blast protocol at 1920 x 1080 also have this problem?

We are currently logging a ticket with VMWare refering to this thread.

Best Regards,

Stefan Seerden.

0 Kudos
EricNichols
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Here was our problem and solution. Perhaps you have a similar program running?

We are using Realtime Soft UltraMon. it adds a litle title bar button for moving Windows between monitors and duplicates the taskbar and Start Menu to the other monitors. Lots of other features.

The window readjustment was from ultramon. To fix it, we created an on disconnect and on reconnect script.

Direct commands do not run as expected from this policy setting. While echo test > c:\temp\test.txt does not work, cmd /c echo test > c:\temp\test.txt does. Yet cmd /c dir > c:\temp\dir.txt does not. And environment variables fail to expand.

So a different approach was to enable powershell scripts as signed only and import my code signing certificate to the computer trusted publishers store on the golden image. Then the commands to run on disconnect and re-connect were:

cmd /c powershell.exe -file c:\temp\CloseUltraMon.ps1

and

cmd /c powershell.exe -file c:\temp\OpenUltraMon.ps1

CloseUltraMon.ps1:

get-process "ultramon" -ea SilentlyContinue | Out-File "c:\temp\ultramon.status"

& "c:\program files\ultramon\ultramon.exe" /stop

OpenUltraMon.ps1:

if (Select-String -Path c:\temp\ultramon.status -pattern "ultramon") {

& "c:\program files\ultramon\ultramon.exe" }

0 Kudos
TrespaTrespa
Contributor
Contributor

All,

We managed to solve this incident with the 1920 x 1080 resolution.

The problem was that a windows service called: Desktop Windows Manager Session Manager was disabled.

When we enabled this service the problem did not occur anymore.

I hope this can help other people also.

Best Regards,

Stefan Seerden.

0 Kudos