VMware Horizon Community
TheNuts
Contributor
Contributor

Applications resizing when reconnecting to View 6.0 desktop

We are running View 6.0.1 and ESX 5.5 U2.  Form my PC, which was a 1920x1080 resolution, I connect to a View Desktop and the View desktop (Windows 7 x64) comes in at 1920x1080 as well.  I then open an application like Outlook or IE and it opens in full screen.  I leave the application open and disconnect from the desktop.  When I reconnect to the same desktop, the application is still open but the application is resized and not full screen like below even though the desktop still reports 1920x1080 resolution.  Any idea why?

Capture1.JPG

I am using Floating Linked clones.  The Pool setting is 2 monitors at 1920x1080 resolution

0 Kudos
48 Replies
JackMac4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

TheNuts wrote:

I do believe I have tired what you mentioned to fix it.  I set the Gold Image's resolution to 1920x1080 and createad a snapshot.  I created a new PCOIP pools with said snapshot.  From an endpoint with a 1920x1080 monitor, I connected to a View Desktop in that pool.  I verified through the vSphere Console that the desktop I was connected to resolution was 1920x1080.  I opened up Internet Explorer and it opened full screen.  I "tapped out" (Imprivata using RFID reader) to disconnect from the View Desktop.  I "tapped in" to the same endpoint with the same 1920x1080 monitor and got reconnected to the same View desktop and the Internet Explorer page was adjusted down to the size as shown in my screenshot on my first post.

It is not my intention to sound like I am not grateful for the advice you have given because I do appreciate it.

But after composing, are the desktop resolutions still at 1920x1080 at the console? They should be, but if they aren't that's where your issue lies.

---- Jack McMichael | Sr. Systems Engineer VMware End User Computing Contact me on Twitter @jackwmc4
0 Kudos
TheNuts
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, the Desktops are still 1920x1080.

This is the Desktop from the vsphere console before connecting to it

from console.JPG

This is after logging into a View desktop, Opening Internet Explorer, disconnecting from the session, and reconnecting to the Desktop on the same endpoint...

reconnect.JPG

The image is hard to see...but the Desktops resolution is 1920x1080 and IE is not full screen

0 Kudos
JackMac4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Very interesting - this is an MS thing. I just tried it and confirmed you're right, IE is doing it, but only MS apps. Chrome does not do this. The adjustment almost looks like a sidebar. I wonder if there's some sort of sidebar weirdness happening once you disconnect.

I did a few tests. If you leave IE or Excel open they will do this. If you leave Chrome open and one of the MS apps it does not, because Chrome keeps the whole window not allowing the MS app to do whatever it is that it's doing. But if you close chrome and then disconnect/reconnect it does it again, so it's definitely something in the MS apps that is causing it. Very strange bug! Might take some work to track down what is causing it, but it appears isolated to MS apps from what I can see.

Could you try chrome just to confirm what I'm seeing?

---- Jack McMichael | Sr. Systems Engineer VMware End User Computing Contact me on Twitter @jackwmc4
0 Kudos
JackMac4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also, this was with IE8 and Excel 2007 on Win7x64. I'm trying to update to newer versions of the apps now to see if this is something MS resolved.

0 Kudos
JackMac4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So I just upgraded to IE11 and the problem goes away. This must be an issue with some of the old MS libraries that IE8/Office 2007 used is my best guess. I also put it out there in the Twitterverse and Jason Shiplett confirmed he had seen it as well, but that it has been chalked to an MS nuance. I think that's going to be your answer here unfortunately. Upgrade or just put up with it. Best of luck!

0 Kudos
TheNuts
Contributor
Contributor

I tested it with an internal application (Non MS but does have hooks into IE) and the application resizes.  As for MS products, we use Office 2010 which also resizes.  I could try Chrome but since we do not standardize on it, it may be a moot point.

The internal application is the biggest pain as the resizing messes up the menus in the application

0 Kudos
JackMac4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Working on the hunch about the sidebar, I went into add/remove programs -> Turn Windows Features on/off -> Windows Gadget Platform and unchecked it, and it appears it may resolve the problem. Try this and let me know!

2015-03-18_11-47-52.png

0 Kudos
JackMac4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here's another setting to play with. I unchecked it and it seemed to help.

2015-03-18_11-55-30.png

IE 8 is now not resizing when I reconnect.

0 Kudos
TheNuts
Contributor
Contributor

I checked and I do not have th Windows Gadget Platform enabled.  Isn't it removed as part of the View Windows 7 optimization script on the Gold Image?

0 Kudos
TheNuts
Contributor
Contributor

I had that IE setting you mention checked, I unchecked it but it did not help.  Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
JackMac4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The OS Optimization Tool does a lot of things, but I can't honestly remember if that's one of them. It could be something particular to your image. Have you tried a test image that isn't your std corp image? Might be worth looking at as you're troubleshooting.

Bottom line is this is an app issue though, it's not a View issue. My best recommendation is to start with a fresh iso image and see how things change as you add components - that's how I would troubleshoot it. Best of luck!

0 Kudos
TheNuts
Contributor
Contributor

I did start with a fresh ISO of Win7 x64 and still the same issue.  Like I said, we are using IE 9 and Office 2010.

The endpoints are re-purposed HP PCs running Imprivata and View in Unattended Mode.  I will check on a Zero client to see if the issue still happens

0 Kudos
JackMac4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah that's not a bad idea. I was testing in a Fusion VM running at 1920x1080 with the View 3.0 client running at full screen.

0 Kudos
Hofkicks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I received the following answer from VMware support regarding this issue:

It seems that this is a known issue and has already been resolved.

The fix for this issue is included in the latest releases of VMware View.

View 5.3.4
and
View 6.1.0

Sorry that I cannot provide a fix for your current version of View but I'm sure you'll understand that an upgrade will be required to resolve the problem.

I am planning an update to 6.1 asap since our main application is having serious issues due to Windows resizing. I will report the outcome when the update is completed.

0 Kudos
TheNuts
Contributor
Contributor

Very cool. Let us know your results with the 6.1 upgrade.

0 Kudos
JackMac4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Interesting - could you give me your SR number so I can look at the details?

I'll try to upgrade to 6.1 next week and see if it is fixed as well.

0 Kudos
TheNuts
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone update to 6.1 and test this yet?

0 Kudos
Hofkicks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am updating my test environment this week so I will post my results before Friday.

0 Kudos
JackMac4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hofkicks wrote:

I am updating my test environment this week so I will post my results before Friday.

FYI, I reached out to the TSE on your case and got the relevant bugs and I think he may be confusing this with a very similar issue with View 5.3. Based on what I quickly read, I don't believe an upgrade will resolve the issue, but I can't be 100% sure as of right now.

My recommendation would be to try the upgrade, and if it doesn't resolve the issue, reopen the case and let them know the issue is different. If the TSE you speak to needs any more details of what you're dealing with, have them reach out to me directly and I can show them.

0 Kudos
TheNuts
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone test yet?

0 Kudos