VMware Horizon Community
TheNuts
Contributor
Contributor

Applications resizing when reconnecting to View 6.0 desktop

We are running View 6.0.1 and ESX 5.5 U2.  Form my PC, which was a 1920x1080 resolution, I connect to a View Desktop and the View desktop (Windows 7 x64) comes in at 1920x1080 as well.  I then open an application like Outlook or IE and it opens in full screen.  I leave the application open and disconnect from the desktop.  When I reconnect to the same desktop, the application is still open but the application is resized and not full screen like below even though the desktop still reports 1920x1080 resolution.  Any idea why?

Capture1.JPG

I am using Floating Linked clones.  The Pool setting is 2 monitors at 1920x1080 resolution

0 Kudos
48 Replies
JackMac4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View will dynamically change the resolution to match your client resolution, but if you have the gold image's base resolution as, say, 1024x768, then when you disconnect it will revert sometimes. Connect to your desktop from the vsphere client and see what size it is and that will most likely answer your question. If you set the native resolution in the console to something larger on your master image, then you most likely will not run into this issue.

---- Jack McMichael | Sr. Systems Engineer VMware End User Computing Contact me on Twitter @jackwmc4
0 Kudos
TheNuts
Contributor
Contributor

When I connect to a View desktop from my client, the client monitor's resolution is 1920x1080 and the View desktop will scale to 1920x1080.  I will open an application in Full Screen and the disconnect from the View Desktop.  When I reconnect to the same View desktop on the same client and the same monitor, the application will resize like the image I attached.  The View desktop resolution is still being reported at 1920x1080 but the application is not longer full screen like it was in prior to the disconnect.  My Gold Image resolution is 1024x768.  Do I need to change the resolution of my Gold Image to 1920x1080 and recompose the Pool?

0 Kudos
JackMac4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's what i would try doing, and I think it will likely fix the issue, but other users can still run into this if they use other resolutions. You could create a test pool with 1 desktop and create a new snapshot just to test this as to not impact production.

---- Jack McMichael | Sr. Systems Engineer VMware End User Computing Contact me on Twitter @jackwmc4
0 Kudos
TheNuts
Contributor
Contributor

I created a new Gold Image and created a snapshot with the gold image's screen resolution at 1920x1080.  I created a test pool with the pool settings for 4 monitors at the highest resolution.  The VMs have 125MB of allocated vRAM.  The same symptoms are still happening.  On a PC with a 22" 1920x1080 monitor, I connect to a Desktop and open an application, Outlook for instance, I then disconnect (badge tap..we are using Imprivata with RF badge readers) to disconnect form the desktop.  I then badge tap to reconnect to the same desktop and Outlook reduces in size like the attached picture

0 Kudos
JackMac4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After you disconnect, if you open the VM in a vsphere console, how big is the resolution?

0 Kudos
TheNuts
Contributor
Contributor

I cannot tell what the actual resolution is after a disconnect since the virtual desktop is at the Ctrl-Alt-Delete screen when I open the VM vSphere console.  From the vSphere console, if I Ctrl-Alt-Insert and log onto the desktop as the disconnected user, the desktop shows the resolution at 1920x1080 and I can see the Outlook screen reduced in size

0 Kudos
Hofkicks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you been able to solve this issue? We are experiencing the exact same issue. Since we also use Imprivata for SSO I tried removing tha Onesign agent, but that did'nt resolve this issue.

I already raised a case with VMware support. They pointed me to a wrong version of the SVGA adapter so I changed the driver in the golden image. This however also didn't resolve this issue....

0 Kudos
JackMac4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

TheNuts wrote:

I cannot tell what the actual resolution is after a disconnect since the virtual desktop is at the Ctrl-Alt-Delete screen when I open the VM vSphere console.  From the vSphere console, if I Ctrl-Alt-Insert and log onto the desktop as the disconnected user, the desktop shows the resolution at 1920x1080 and I can see the Outlook screen reduced in size

You'll want to login and check then. The screen resolution shouldn't change when you login via the vSphere console. Whatever the console resolution is - that's what the VM will revert to when you disconnect. VIew will dynamically resize the resolution to whatever you tell it to once you connect with the View client, but once you disconnect it will automatically revert  to the 'default' - or console resolution.

Login to the consolel, Right click on the desktop and select Screen Resolution to see what it's set at. If it's something other than 1920x1080, set it to 1920x1080 and logoff. Then reconnect with your View client and try again.

0 Kudos
Hofkicks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I set the resolution via the vSphere client to 1920 x 1080 and connected / reconnected from a Windows based machine to the session on a 1920 x 1080 monitor. The issue still persists. Applications will resize to ~90% of the screen width after the reconnect.

I am unable to reproduce this issue when I connect over RDP...so this issue looks like a PCoIP related problem. Ow, and by the way...we are having this issue in our 5.3 View environment.

0 Kudos
JackMac4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's correct, because PCoIP isn't session based, it's console based.

0 Kudos
TheNuts
Contributor
Contributor

I have not fixed the issue.  I created a new Gold Image from scratch using a Windows 7 .iso file.  Before I created a snapshot I saved the Gold Image at 1920x1080 resolution. I composed a Pool using the max settings of 4 Monitors at the highest resolution.  A reconnect still causes the application window to "shrink".  I checked the resolution through the vSphere client and it never changed from 1920x1080.  I have not created a ticket with VMware

0 Kudos
JackMac4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would go ahead and do that - I'm sure they know the resolution. I've had several customers ask me about this in the past, but I can't recall the fix. I'm sure I could find it if I had more free time, but I don't currently. Best of luck!

0 Kudos
TheNuts
Contributor
Contributor

The issue still occurs if I reconnect to a View desktop that has a 1920x1080 monitor.  The resolution on the View desktop shows 1920x1080 and as I stated, the test gold image was composed at 1920x1080 as well

0 Kudos
TheNuts
Contributor
Contributor

I composed an RDP pool and have no issues with applications resizing when reconnecting to the same Desktop/Endpoint/Monitor as I did in the PCOIP pool

0 Kudos
JackMac4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, RDP isn't affected by this because its a session based protocol, not a console based protocol.

0 Kudos
TheNuts
Contributor
Contributor

So, is this an inherit issue of PCOIP with no apparent workaround?  I am not sure what else to try that I already havent

0 Kudos
JackMac4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It is a PCoIP only thing, and I told you how to fix it - but perhaps I'm missing something. I was hoping someone else might chime in as I'm fairly busy, but I'm spinning up a clone right now to see if I can pin it down for you.

0 Kudos
TheNuts
Contributor
Contributor

I do believe I have tired what you mentioned to fix it.  I set the Gold Image's resolution to 1920x1080 and createad a snapshot.  I created a new PCOIP pools with said snapshot.  From an endpoint with a 1920x1080 monitor, I connected to a View Desktop in that pool.  I verified through the vSphere Console that the desktop I was connected to resolution was 1920x1080.  I opened up Internet Explorer and it opened full screen.  I "tapped out" (Imprivata using RFID reader) to disconnect from the View Desktop.  I "tapped in" to the same endpoint with the same 1920x1080 monitor and got reconnected to the same View desktop and the Internet Explorer page was adjusted down to the size as shown in my screenshot on my first post.

It is not my intention to sound like I am not grateful for the advice you have given because I do appreciate it.

0 Kudos
JackMac4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Alright, here's the good news, what I told you was 100% spot on.

I created a new linked clone pool of 1. I logged into the vSphere console of that VM and set the resolution to 1920x1080, then logged off. I kept the console window open just to confirm it stayed at the correct resolution. I then logged into the View client and connected to that deskop on a machine with 1920x1080 as the resolution, launched in full screen. Opened Chrome at full size and disconnected. Confirmed the vsphere console had not changed. I reconnected to the desktop and it was still full screen as it should be.

If your window is being adjusted it's because your console resolution is being adjusted, either by the View client or at the console in vSphere by something. The View client will only adjust the resolution if it's doing so to match the client you're connecting from or if you've switched from full screen to large/small window, things like that.

What kind of client are you using, Windows or something else?

0 Kudos