VMware Horizon Community
VFWDVallejo
Contributor
Contributor

Apple iPhones don't automatically connect on insert with Horizon Client 8.10 and 8.11

So, this is a weird one.

Using Horizon Client 8.10 on Linux and 8.11 Client on Windows for testing, plugging in an unlocked Apple iPhone after I've already connected to the session will only charge the device. It won't be presented to the VM at all. I have to move the mouse to the top of the screen and manually check the Apple iPhone device and then it will be presented to the VM.  (It will also automatically reconnect when unplugged and inserted again after that point.)

I've already got Automatically Connect on Insert selected, even before connecting, but it doesn't work. Pretty much all the other USB devices I've plugged in automatically present themselves to the VM, but not the Apple iPhone when plugged in for the first time while the session is already connected.

Now, the other oddity is that using Automatically Connect on Startup WILL connect the iPhone when connecting to the VM... I just can't get Automatically Connect on Insert to work after the session is going, unless you've already connected it at least once during the session. 

This used to work fine on older Horizon Clients, not sure what version this stopped working on.

Anyone have any idea and also any workaround for this besides telling users to move their mouse to manually connect the iPhone every time they plug in the iPhone while their VM is already running?

To summarize... Automatically connect on startup AND automatically connect on insert are enabled. Automatically connect on insert is not working for the iPhones. Connect on startup is fine.

All other USB devices automatically connect on insert, it just appears to be iPhones that are affected. (They just start charging off the USB port and that's it, until the user manually ticks the box in the Horizon Client to connect the device.)

Used to work fine on previous Horizon Client versions (not sure when it broke). Definitely a problem with 8.10 and 8.11 regardless of if a Linux client or Windows client.

LMK your experiences with this and any workarounds.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ofox
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It's expected. The change was to fix a quirky behavior specific to iPhone. There's no workaround at the moment. Users need to use manual redirection. Please talk to your VMware contact if you need further technical support.

0 Kudos