VMware Horizon Community
agough
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

AppVolumes with Visual Studio 2017 Workspaces

I'm new to App Volumes, but not new to Horizon View, trying to get it to work so we can provide non persistent desktops to developers. The thinking being our Devs need to be able to install their own software, and they also download a large (3.5GBish) workspace from Visual Studio to work on during a project, then only check in changes when the project is completed.

Tried directing the workspace to a network home share, this worked, but was too slow to be workable in my opinion, so AppVolumes sounded like it would work (effectively a local disk attached at logon to a non persistent desktop). However i can't get Visual Studio to download the workspace to the personal drive, seems non addressable as a disk (although visible in diskmgmt.msc), and downloading to the c:\users\<username>\ path seems to put it on the OS disk, rather than cleverly redirecting it to the AppVolume.

Does this make sense in terms of what we're trying to achieve?, is it possible/supported to do this sort of thing or should i just be sticking to persistent desktops for this use case?

2 Replies
techguy129
Expert
Expert

If you are using writable volumes with user profile (UIA+Profile) it should capture the workspace in the users profile. Be sure you're using the right writeable volume template. There is a file system filter driver that will redirect disk read/writes to the user profile on C:\ app volumes mounted vmdk.

0 Kudos
Douglas42Adams
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Could also of course go JMP.  Instant Clones - Writables ( no profile side ) - and use UEM for 'profiles' / desktop local storage / user config stuff.