VMware Horizon Community
trevordavismsft
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

AppVolumes 4.x or 2.x?

I quickly did a google search to try and ID when to use 4.0 and when to use 2.x, can't find anything.

I've successfully created an appstack in 4.0, but it's not putting the shortcut on the desktop, any ideas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi trevordavismsft

App Volumes 2.x and 4.x are two different editions of appvolumes. Though you can use any of them in your environment, 4.x includes enhancements to both application management and user experience, you will find it easy to manage application lifecycle using 4.x. AppVolumes 4.x is recently released with all new features which just simplifies the way application lifecycle is managed.

For details you can check What's New in VMware App Volumes 4 | VMware

For shortcut, did you place it on desktop during the capture process?

Please mark reply as helpful if you find it useful.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi trevordavismsft

App Volumes 2.x and 4.x are two different editions of appvolumes. Though you can use any of them in your environment, 4.x includes enhancements to both application management and user experience, you will find it easy to manage application lifecycle using 4.x. AppVolumes 4.x is recently released with all new features which just simplifies the way application lifecycle is managed.

For details you can check What's New in VMware App Volumes 4 | VMware

For shortcut, did you place it on desktop during the capture process?

Please mark reply as helpful if you find it useful.

trevordavismsft
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK, so that makes sense, didn't realize I needed to create a desktop shortcut.  If I recall correctly in earlier version of AppV the shortcut was automatically placed on the desktop.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

First don't call it appv, appv is an Microsoft product that is similar.

Getting Started with App-V (Windows 10) - Windows Application Management | Microsoft Docs

secondly, 2.x or 4.x it doesn't matter, they all just capture the changes made by the installation. :If the installation program doesn't create a desktop icon you need to do this your self during the capture process, or by using another tool. App Volumes doesn't make any icons or anything like that

0 Kudos