VMware Horizon Community
c464rc14
Contributor
Contributor

AppStacks/AppVols Limits?

I am trying to find the limits of AppVolumes and AppStacks -

1) What is the maximum number of Applications per AppStack? (Or is it just dependent on storage?)

2) What is the maximum number of AppStacks per AVM?

3) Best practices for including applications in the base image vs attaching a volume?

I have been looking for a while but there isn't much information that I could find on the maximums (though maybe my googling skills aren't working right now)

Thanks for any help!

6 Replies
vBritinUSA
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Take a look at this KB, its for 2.X

VMware App Volumes Sizing Limits and Recommendations

VMware Knowledge Base

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
vBritinUSA
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

As for the base Image, depends Smiley Happy If 90-100% of users use a large app (Office) I would put it into the base image. I try to put as many common apps in the base image to avoid a penalty for attaching app stacks i.e. slower login times, then build Appstacks for business units Apps if they play nice.

Anobix67
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Agreed with this, I think the general guideline of 80/20, if 80% of the people using the machines will be using the application(s) then include it in the base image.

0 Kudos
nsousaarlington
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What about the maximum number of packages assigned to each instant clone VM for version 4? The KB you linked is for App Volumes 2.x.

0 Kudos
vBritinUSA
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Nothing been released as of yet, or should I say I have not found anything

0 Kudos
mtarggart
Contributor
Contributor

I'm hitting a limit of 13 app stacks per VM in version 4.4.0.70 (2103). One of the App Stacks has five applications in it. Any more than 13 and none of the app stacks attach.

The crappy thing is that you can't join multiple existing packages into a single Application. Therefore you need to plan out your App Stacks and bundle applications that would all get updated at the same time, such as Adobe CC or Autodesk applications. Unfortunately, I've got some repackaging to do. Nearly a full day wasted creating individual applications when I should have bundled them.

0 Kudos